Gilani to lay foundation stone of Sikh University at Nankana SahibMarch 6th, 2010 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
New Delhi, March 6 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani will lay the foundation stone of the Baba Guru Nanak International University (BGNIU) next month at Nankana Sahib, Pakistan.
The ceremony is likely to be attended by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s wife Gurusharan Kaur and Punjab’s chief minister Parkash Singh Badal.Talking to Asian News International over phone from Lahore about the ceremony of Baba Guru Nanak International University, Azhar Ehsan, an Advocate and the Executive Director of BGNIU’s governing body, said: “The function would be held on April 17 and Mrs. Gursharn Kaur, the wife of Dr. Manmohan Singh and Parkash Singh Badal, chief Minster of Punjab have shown interest to attend the ceremony.”
The university would be constructed in 2,500 acres of land in Nankana Sahib.
More than 15,000 Sikh pilgrims are likely to be visit in the month of April to attend the Baisakhi festival’s celebrations in Pakistan.
Dr. Pritpal Singh from United States said that the proposed university would have the best architecture, curricula and research center on Sikh and other religion and culture. He said that AGPC would bear all the expenses on establishing the course related to Gurmat Sangeet facility.
“We will invite scholars from all over the world to join the university. It will be planned University that to be modeled similar to standards set by the great universities of Oxford and Cambridge and students from all over the world will be offered admission to the University.” It is pertinent to mention that none of the members was taken from India in the governing body of the University, neither from the Shri Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), the premier body of the Sikhs or from Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC).
However, Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee chief Parmjit Singh Sarna said: “I am happy that the Pak Prime Minister would be laying the foundation stone ceremony to build the University. It makes no difference to me whether they have not given any representation in the committee to us.” (ANI)
- Pak PM to lay foundation stone of Sikh University at Nankana Sahib - Mar 06, 2010
- Delay in acquisition of land for proposed Guru Nanak Dev University in Pakistan - Nov 20, 2010
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- Pak announces governing body of Baba Guru Nanak International University - Aug 28, 2009
- SGPGC's Sri Guru Granth Sahib university launched - Jul 25, 2011
- Badal invited to Pakistan for setting up of Nanak varsity - Nov 22, 2009
- Gurpurab celebrations conclude at Nankana Sahib - Nov 11, 2011
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Akali Dal announces 48 names for Punjab assembly polls - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: baisakhi festival, best architecture, committee chief, delhi sikh gurdwara management, dr manmohan singh, guru nanak, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan singh, nankana sahib, parkash, parmjit singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, pritpal singh, ravinder singh, religion and culture, sikh gurdwara management committee, sikh pilgrims, yousaf