Genetic discovery could lead to baldness cureJuly 2nd, 2010 - 12:02 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July2 (ANI): Baldness, a trauma for men and women alike, could finally be cured - thanks to a new discovery by researchers.
Researchers have linked alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes hair thinning and hair loss, to eight genes, which are also related to other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and typ-1 diabetes, Health Day reported.
The findings will likely open the floodgates for new treatments, say researchers.
According to Dr. Angela Christiano, professor of dermatology and genetics and development at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City, this means that drugs already in development could be used to treat this condition - a huge advantage.
However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved any treatments for alopecia areata.
One gene in particular - ULBP3 - attracted the toxic cells that attack the follicle, resulting in hair loss.
“It’s like putting nectar on the hair follicle, then the ‘bees’ come in and do their damage,” Fox News quoted Vicki Kalabokes, president and CEO of the Alopecia Foundation, as saying.
The study was published in the July issue of the journal Nature. (ANI)
- Boffins identify genes contributing to skin disease that triggers hair loss - Jul 05, 2010
- Scientists identify new gene in hair loss - Apr 15, 2010
- Discovery to help balding men regrow hair - Jun 26, 2012
- Bald Miss Delaware to take part in Miss America beauty pageant - Jan 06, 2011
- Four new psoriasis 'hotspots' identified - Oct 19, 2010
- Eye colour linked to severity of skin conditions - May 07, 2012
- 'Master switch' for key immune cells in inflammatory diseases found - Jan 17, 2011
- Hope for balding men - Mar 22, 2012
- Breakthrough could nip arthritis in the bud - Jun 13, 2012
- Coming soon: Cloned hair follicles to cure baldness! - May 01, 2011
- Male pattern balding 'due to stem cell inactivation' - Jan 05, 2011
- Bone marrow cancer drug could be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis - Nov 04, 2010
- Malaysian society committed to fighting hair loss gains popularity! - May 23, 2010
- Newly crowned Miss Delaware Kayla Martell thinks that 'Bald is beautiful' - Jun 29, 2010
- A stem cell cure for bald pates - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: autoimmune disease, autoimmune diseases, baldness cure, bees, columbia university medical, dermatology, diabetes health, floodgates, follicle, food and drug administration, food and drug administration fda, fox news, genetic discovery, hair loss, journal nature, nectar, new discovery, rheumatoid arthritis, typ 1, university medical center