Frog marriage solemnised for rain showers in NagpurJune 20th, 2009 - 11:02 pm ICT by ANI
Nagpur, June 20 (ANI): A number of farmers seeking rainfall in Nagpur city organised wedding of two frogs on Saturday to please the Rain Gods and hoped their region would soon receive monsoon showers.
People blew trumpets and sang songs, as the priest solemnized the marriage to the chanting of Hindu hymns by putting streaks of vermilion on the female toad’s head.
The toads were picked up from different ponds, following the local belief among the farmers in this part of India that a frog marriage pleases the Rain Gods and ensure a good harvest with rains.
Locals hoped the marriage would help them to end the dry spell that the region is experiencing.
“Our forefathers believed that marriage of male and female frogs makes Lord Indra (Rain God) happy that leads to rains. You can see that it is not raining in the entire Vidarbha, eastern region of Maharashtra state made up of Nagpur divison and Amravati division that has caused a drought like division. We are following this belief of our forefathers so that Lord Indra is pleased and it rains,” said Shailendra Awasthi, a participant in the marriage.
With temperatures soaring high and monsoons playing truant in northern and western parts of the country, people are praying hard for showers.
“It was sunny when we came in the morning for performing marriage. But now you can see the weather has changed. It means it will rain. We hope so,” said Ankita Bhatia, a participant in the frog marriage. (ANI)
- In Holy Varanasi, Get frogs married, pray for rain ! - Jun 24, 2010
- Croak, croak! Look who just got married - Jun 27, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh villagers perform rituals to usher in rain (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
- Rites and rituals to invoke rains in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 25, 2009
- Dark clouds, thunder usher monsoon in Goa - Jun 06, 2012
- Frogs married in drought-hit Jharkhand to please rain god - Jul 23, 2009
- Women in Bihar plough fields, sing to please rains gods - Jul 29, 2011
- Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darkness - Jul 06, 2012
- Monsoon brings hope for Bihar's drought-hit farmers - Jun 24, 2011
- Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early - Jun 06, 2012
- Hindus, Muslims pray for rains in Patna - Jun 27, 2009
- Monsoon arrives in parched Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Migratory storks' early arrival raises monsoon hopes (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- Rains brings hope to Bihar farmers - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: amravati, drought, dry spell, female frogs, forefathers, frog, frogs, hymns, lord indra, monsoon showers, ponds, rain god, rain gods, rain showers, rainfall, solemnised, streaks, toads, two frogs, vermilion