Explosives found near Manipur police headquartersApril 13th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, April 13 (ANI): Two improvised explosive devices were recently found near Indira Park opposite to the Imphal west district police headquarters.
Just a day after bomb squad disposed off the devices yet another IED with a cell phones attached to it as remote control was found at Kangla Park.
A team of the State police bomb disposal squad defused and got rid of the bomb and averted a major tragedy.
KCP (MC) Lanheiba, a militant outfit, has claimed responsibility for planting the IEDs.
Security has been beefed up in the state since then and police have been on a high alert.
“We have been physically searching each and every locality in order to prevent the planting of IEDs and bombs particularly in crowded places,” said L. Kailun, IPS, Sr. S.P., Imphal West.
After the discovery of bombs in the city and frequent outbreak of violence in the State, people, particularly womenfolk came out to protest against such incidents.
“We want to live in peace in our state and so we are sitting for this protest so that such incidents do not happen again in future. We want to live in peace and harmony,” said a resident woman in Imphal.
“Bombs are thrown and grenade attacks frequently take place in the state. Such attacks are not going to bring about any solution. Instead, in such incidents, innocent people are hurt. So it is our appeal that they should stop doing such things as ultimately it’s the people who are its victims,” said L. Shuniti, another Imphal resident.
Militant activities in the state have really disrupted the normal life of the people of Manipur. They now want an end to violence, which they have been facing for a long time now. (ANI)
- Militants target VIP residences in Manipur - Sep 27, 2009
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur records 40 percent polling till noon (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Car bomb found at Raj Bhawan, governor safe (Lead) - Sep 18, 2009
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipuri militant nabbed - Feb 16, 2012
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
- Violence will not solve any problem: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 12, 2010
- Six injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Two rebels held, northeast on alert as I-Day approaches - Aug 09, 2011
- Blast in Imphal, one killed - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: bomb disposal squad, bomb squad, bombs, defused, discovery, district police headquarters, explosive devices, explosives, grenade attacks, ied, ieds, indira, ips, locality, outbreak, peace and harmony, remote control, state police, tragedy, violence