Ex-Saddam aide, Iraq Foreign Minister Aziz sentenced to deathOctober 26th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct. 26 (ANI): Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein’s foreign minister Tariq Aziz has been sentenced to death by hanging for persecuting members of Shiite religious parties under the former regime.
Iraq’s High Criminal Court spokesman Mohammed Abdul Sahib did not say when Aziz, 74, would be put to death.
The death sentence was for a conviction on charges of taking part in a Saddam-led campaign that hunted and executed members of the Shiite Dawa Party, of which current Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki is a member.
Aziz, a Christian who became known as the international face of Saddam’s regime, has already been convicted and sentenced to 15 years in prison for his role in the 1992 execution of 42 merchants found guilty of profiteering.
He also received a seven-year prison sentence for a case involving the forced displacement of Kurds in northern Iraq.
In a recent interview, Aziz predicted he will die in prison, citing his old age and lengthy prison sentences. (ANI)
- Holy See condemns Tariq Aziz death sentence - Oct 28, 2010
- Tariq Aziz's son pleads for condemned father's life - Dec 02, 2010
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Iraq Sentences Former Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz To Death - Oct 27, 2010
- Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officials - Jul 17, 2011
- US hands over Tareq Aziz, other Saddam regime members to Iraq - Jul 14, 2010
- Iraq will be left to wolves if US withdraws: Saddam's aide - Aug 06, 2010
- Former Saddam Hussein's confidant says that he is going to die in prison - Sep 06, 2010
- Vatican asks Iraq not to execute 'Christian' ex-minister Tariq Aziz - Oct 27, 2010
- US hands over Saddam's two half-brothers to Iraq - Jul 15, 2011
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- Man jailed in Britain for hate rant over Iraq war - Jul 30, 2011
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
- Iraq executes five over terrorism - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: conviction, criminal court, death sentence, dictator saddam hussein, displacement, international face, iraq foreign minister, iraqi dictator saddam hussein, kurds, lengthy prison sentences, minister tariq aziz, mohammed, northern iraq, nouri al maliki, prime minister nouri al maliki, prison sentence, religious parties, saddam hussein, sahib, shiite dawa party