Elephant undergoes dental surgery in KeralaNovember 12th, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
By Juhan Samuel
Triprayar (Kerala), Nov.12 (ANI): An elephant in Kerala’s Tripayar town underwent cosmetic dental surgery.
The elephant was suffering from a crack in its tusk for the past five years, which was causing an accumulation of water and dirt.
A dental surgery using nano-fillers was performed on the pachyderm by a team of expert dentists and veterinary doctors.
“We inspected the animal and found that it was a 50 centimetres (cm) crack which was about four centimetres deep. After reviewing the literature, we found that human dentin and the tusk has similar histological characters, so we decided to do a light cure resin bonding for this animal,” said C.V. Pradeep, dental surgeon.
Dentists informed media persons about the challenges of the surgery.
“We had many challenges in front of us when we were encountering this animal. The first was that we decided to do this procedure without tranquilising the animal and the whole procedure took about two-and-a-half hours to be completed,” said Pradeep.
“The next challenge was that the instruments used in humans were not applicable to this animal so we had to customise all our instruments to suit the animal’s demand. Finally, we have completed the procedure and we are happy that the procedure has been completed well,” he added.
The elephant is recovering well and has already started using its tusks for daily activities. (ANI)
- Elephants love liquor, cry when sad, says new book (IANS Books) - Apr 22, 2011
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Bangladeshi Jumbo triggers panic in Agartala - Apr 16, 2012
- Heat, humidity makes life miserable for elephants in Kerala - May 13, 2010
- Kerala initiates signature campaign for using elephants in temple festivals - Apr 30, 2010
- New treatment to banish gum disease in 5 hours - Sep 26, 2010
- Complaint against Haryana Tourism for using elephant - Aug 20, 2012
- Elephants get a retirement home in Kerala district - Nov 21, 2010
- Elephants outsmart humans during intelligence test - Mar 08, 2011
- Locals agitate over elephant killing in Bengal - Apr 25, 2010
- Monsoon rejuvenation therapy for jumbos begins in Kerala - Jul 18, 2009
- Grin and bare it - with a dental tattoo! (With Images) - May 01, 2011
- Painless plasma jets could replace dentist's dreaded drill - Jan 20, 2010
- Elephants wreak havoc in Siliguri's tea garden - Dec 04, 2010
- Helicopter-borne poachers kill 22 elephants in Congo - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: accumulation, challenges, cosmetic dental surgery, crack, dental surgeon, dentin, dentists, dirt, elephant, fillers, kerala, literature, media persons, pachyderm, resin, tusk, tusks, two and a half hours, veterinary doctors