Devotees converge at Banderwah in Kashmir for “serpent worship”April 18th, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by ANI
By Tahir Nadim Khan
Doda (Jammu and Kashmir), Apr 18 (ANI): Thousand’s of devotees are visiting the Subar Nag (serpentine divinity) temple at Bhaderwah in Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir, as part of an annual pilgrimage.
Since thousands of years, people here celebrate the Nag festival with fervour and gaiety.
The Nag festival is considered to be very sacred and auspicious by thelocals. Tourists come here from across the country to witness the festival.
“The Yatra (pilgrimage) has been going on for over thousands of years. People are so devoted that whenever any calamity affects this area, right from Rajputs, Brahmins, Dalits (socially backward community) and even the Muslims undertake this pilgrimage since they have immense faith in it,” says Bodh Raj, a devotee.
Even though the temple is atop a hill, the enthusiasm of thedevotees is not deterred in any manner. It is widely believed that the desires of the devotees are fulfilled by the Nag (serpent) Lord.
“I have been staying in Gujarat, but I have specially come here to participate in this Yatra (pilgrimage). It is a very old temple. The prayers and wishes of the devotees are fulfilled, and many people have come here from other states as well,” said Omesh Sharma, a devotee from Gujarat.
Once their wishes are fulfilled, the devotees come back to pay homage. (ANI)
- Historic Mela Patt fair celebrated in Bhaderwah - Sep 16, 2010
- Devotees begins annual pilgrimage to Manimahesh Lake in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 04, 2010
- Mela Patt fair celebrated in Bhaderwah in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 28, 2009
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Bajrang Dal group stopped from going to Amarnath base camps - May 13, 2012
- Devotees take holy dip in rivers across Uttar Pradesh on first day of Navratri - Oct 08, 2010
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Devotees celebrate 'Aadi Perukku' in Tamil Nadu - Aug 05, 2010
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Lakhs worship at Pandharpur Vithoba temple - Jun 30, 2012
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Devotees throng a religious festival in Jodhpur - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: bhaderwah, brahmins, calamity, devotee, devotees, divinity, doda, gaiety, gujarat, homage, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, nadim, old temple, pilgrimage, prayers and wishes, serpent worship, serpentine, subar, tahir