Devotees celebrate ‘Pooram’ in TripunithuraDecember 8th, 2010 - 9:15 pm ICT by ANI
By Juhan Samuel
Tripunithura (Kerala), Dec.8 (ANI): Scores of devotees thronged Tripunithura town in Kerala to celebrate ‘Pooram’, a temple festival.
As part of the ‘Pooram’, elephants carry the idols of different temple deities in a procession, which culminates at the ancient Vadakkumnathan temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva. The procession will last for 10 days.
The festival witnessed 15 caparisoned elephants, bedecked in gold ornaments amid drumbeats in the temple premises.
“This is the most important festival conducted on a large scale. In this festival we give full importance to temple arts and Carnatic music,” said M. Jayan, the Sree Poornathrayesa temple president.
Tourists from abroad flocked in large numbers to enjoy the festival.
“It was great; it was amazing to see all those elephants, all the colours and the music. It’s like a big fair,” said Anna, a German tourist.
The eight-day festival began on December 3. (ANI)
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Hundreds of thousands converge as 'Thrissur Pooram' begins in Kerala - Apr 24, 2010
- Kerala to webcast temple festival - Mar 16, 2011
- Kerala readies for Thrissur Pooram festival - Apr 29, 2012
- Thrissur Pooram festivities begin - May 01, 2012
- Kerala prepares for Pooram Festival - Apr 23, 2010
- All set for Kerala's iconic Thrissur Pooram - May 10, 2011
- Two dozen injured as elephant runs amok - May 02, 2012
- Kerala initiates signature campaign for using elephants in temple festivals - Apr 30, 2010
- Caparisoned elephants steal the show at Thrissur Pooram - Apr 24, 2010
- Caparisoned elephants steel the show at Kerala's temple festival - Apr 05, 2009
- Kerala readies for grand Thrissur Pooram festival - May 01, 2009
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Ganesha comes to capital for 11-day gala - Sep 01, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: colours, deities, devotees, drumbeats, elephants, german tourist, gold ornaments, kerala, large numbers, large scale, music, procession, sree, temple festival, temple premises, temple president, tourists, vadakkumnathan