Devotees begins annual pilgrimage to Manimahesh Lake in Jammu and KashmirSeptember 4th, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by ANI
By Ishtiaq Ahmed
Bhaderwah (Jammu and Kashmir), Sep 4 (ANI): Thousands of Hindu devotees commenced their annual pilgrimage from Jammu and Kashmir’s Bhaderwah city to the sacred Manimahesh Lake located in Himachal Pradesh.
The annual pilgrimage of devotees of Lord Shiva begins on Janmashtami (birth anniversary of Lord Krishna) and culminates on Radha Ashtami (birth anniversary of Lord Krishna spouse, Radha).
On reaching the destination, located in the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas, the pilgrims take a dip in the holy lake and pray for peace, success.
After the holy dip, the devotees offer prayers to Mount Kailash.
“This pilgrimage is part of our ancient religious tradition. In accordance with the prevalent customs, we undertake the journey while singing and dancing, which is loved by our deity, Lord Shiva. We believe that Lord Shiva listens and answers all our prayers at the Manimahesh Lake,” said Keshav Saran, a devotee.
Several pilgrims play musical instruments to display their faith, while others stop by at local temples to offer prayers to their revered God.
Among the pilgrims a septuagenarian devotee also took part in the pilgrimage and braved the rough weather.
“We undertake the arduous journey while remembering our deities and Lord Shiva, and play instruments such as Damru and pipes. We also decorate their idols with flowers. Along the way, the religious folk also arrange for food and accommodation for all the pilgrims,” said Pyare Lal, another pilgrim. (ANI)
- 100,000 devotees take dip in Himachal lake - Sep 05, 2011
- Shiva's mace procession begins in Himachal - Aug 29, 2011
- Manimahesh pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Aug 22, 2011
- Manimahesh pilgrimage to begin Aug 10 in Himachal - Jul 13, 2012
- Devotees visit Manimahesh Lake in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- Shiva's mace procession in Himachal begins Wednesday - Sep 06, 2010
- Chopper service for Himachal's Manimahesh pilgrims - Sep 01, 2010
- Heading for 'Shiva's home' - to keep it clean (Feature) - Jul 18, 2011
- Now British 'garbage girl' to clean Shiva's abode - Aug 17, 2010
- Chopper service to Himachal's holy Manimahesh lake starts - Aug 18, 2009
- Millions throng Goverdhan for annual pilgrimage - Jul 15, 2011
- 'Garbage girl' gets 'Green Hero' award - Jul 02, 2010
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011
- J-K locals find antique idols inside caves - May 06, 2010
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: arduous journey, bhaderwah, birth anniversary, deities, himachal pradesh, himalayas, hindu devotees, holy dip, jammu and kashmir, keshav, lord krishna, lord shiva, pilgrimage, pilgrims, pir panjal range, religious folk, religious tradition, rough weather, saran, septuagenarian