Demand for fruits and juices on the high in Chennai as mercury risesApril 18th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by ANI
By Jai Kumar
Chennai, Apr 18 (ANI): With temperature rising in Tamil Nadu, the sale of watermelons and juices have picked up.
The temperature in Chennai, the state capital, was recorded at over 39.1 degree Celsius with humidity in the range of 69 percent on Thursday. Last year, the maximum temperature recorded was 42.1 degree celsius on May 18, but this year the temperature is inching towards that number in April itself.
The residents are on the lookout for ways to beat the heat and consequently, the road-side fruit kiosks in the city are making the most of the scorching summer and doing a brisk business.
“The summer season has started and will continue for two months from now. Summer holidays have also started. Thus people are buying mosambi (sweet lime), water-melons, strawberries. They are also showing fondness for mango juice also. The sales have picked up really well,” said Ramesh Gandhi, a juice vendor in Chennai.
Most of the locals prefer to stay indoors to escape the sweltering heat wave during this season and venture out only if necessary.
“This heat wave lasts for a long time. So we drink juices and only juices and ice cream help us to keep our body cool and fit,” noted Vinay Kartik, a local.
While the affluent ones are content staying indoors, it is the labourers working in the open who have to endure the hot summer days.
“This year, the summer heat is more and we are unable to come out and work easily like before. Juices cool us and infuse a sort of comfort in our body to work in the heat,” said Suresh Anand, another local.
The Indian summer starts early in April and continues till late June. The monsoon showers provide respite in July.
According to meteorologists, over the past decade due to global warming, the average temperature has been continuously rising. (ANI)
- Barmer hottest as Rajasthan sizzles - May 29, 2010
- Nariyal pani, kanchas, kakris...Hot Delhi chills by roadside - Apr 19, 2010
- Heat wave continues to sweep Odisha - May 27, 2012
- Heat wave bakes US, dozens dead - Jul 08, 2012
- Sunstroke toll rises to 36 in Odisha - Jun 12, 2012
- Scorching sun, power outages add to UP's 'summer misery' - May 22, 2012
- Mercury soars in Srinagar - May 19, 2011
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Heat keeps grip on Delhi, schools vacations extended (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Heat wave continues in Punjab, Haryana - May 26, 2012
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Odisha heatwave continues - May 29, 2012
- Heat wave sears Odisha, Titilagarh records 46.5 degrees - May 18, 2012
Tags: average temperature, brisk business, chennai, degree celsius, fondness, heat wave, indian summer, juices, labourers, lime water, maximum temperature, monsoon showers, ramesh, summer holidays, sweet lime, sweltering heat, tamil nadu, water melons, watermelons, ways to beat the heat