Dalits in Bihar demand separate polling boothsApril 6th, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by ANI
By Ajay Sharma
Hasanpur (Bihar), Apr 6 (ANI): The Dalits, traditionally regarded as low castes, have asked for a separate polling booth in Hasanpur village in the Phulwari Sharif block in Bihar.
The Dalit villagers fear that the Dabhangs, a group of socially dominant people, would harm them if they exercise the right of voting.
“We go for casting our votes but when we reach the booth, we are notallowed to vote and are forced to leave the booth. We want a separate booth so that we can caste our votes in peace as we cannot fight with those people,” said Dhananjay Majhi, a Dalit villager.
” Our name is there in the voter’s list . When we stand in the queue, those who are present in the booth tell us that our names have been removed from the list and therefore we cannot caste our votes,” said Upendra Majhi, another Dalit.
The District Superintendent of Police of Phulwari Sharif block Dilnawaz Ahmad has assured the Dalits that adequate security has been provided at the polling booths to enable the Dalits to caste their votes without any problem.
“When we were inspecting , we came across the complaint. We are trying to make arrangements for their security so that no one stops them from casting their votes,” said Ahmed.
Dalits are a downtrodden class socially and economically. Though the caste system has been formally abolished under the Indian Constitution, there is still discrimination and prejudice against Dalits. (ANI)
- Bengal village women vote for first time since independence (Lead, correcting figure in para 1) - May 07, 2011
- Bengal village women vote for first time since independence - May 07, 2011
- Seventh round of Bihar panchayat polls continues peacefully (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Third phase of Bihar panchayat polls proceeds peacefully - Apr 27, 2011
- Where is the nearest Dalit village? (Part-1) - Nov 18, 2010
- Voters in Gorakhpur seek 'right to reject' - Feb 11, 2012
- Bomb blast mars Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Re-poll ordered in two Bengal polling stations - Apr 19, 2011
- Voters defy Maoists in Jharkhand's first panchayat polls (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Panchayat polls commence in Jammu - Apr 13, 2011
- 56 percent turnout in fourth phase of Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Jayalalithaa confident of AIADMK victory in civic polls - Oct 17, 2011
- Historic day for Mahadalits in Bihar - Aug 14, 2011
- Bihar conducts fifth phase of panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012