Cycle rally to promote cleanliness in Kashmir ValleyDecember 8th, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by ANI
By Fayaz Ahmad
Srinagar, Dec.8 (ANI): Scores of people participated in a bicycle rally here to spread awareness about pollution.
The event commenced from Nehru Park near Dal Lake and ended at Cheshmashahi.
“Our environment is in dire need of events like these for the propagation of social awareness, so that everybody knows that our environment is really at stake. Hence, if such events take place especially in Kashmir, I think it will have a lot of effect on people as they will become aware about the rising issues of the environment,” said Nausheen, a participant.
The rally was organised by a local radio channel in collaboration with a bicycle manufacturing company.
Organisers said that there was an immediate need to curb pollution, which is the prime reason of environmental degradation in the Valley.
“If we take the example of Srinagar city, and look around, then the city which was not green earlier is now green and we are unable to keep it that way. Hence, I feel that if pollution is reduced then of course we will be able to keep the city green,” said Sara, the organiser of the event.
The event encouraged locals to use bicycles to commute to schools and offices other than keeping the Valley clean and avoiding the use of plastic bags. (ANI)
- Hyderabad gets first bicycle track for public - Mar 18, 2012
- Coast Guard organizes anti-pollution walkathon in Chennai - Jan 08, 2011
- Green lifestyle statement: Bangalore kids cycle to school - Nov 21, 2009
- Durga idol out of waste material in Bengal - Sep 09, 2011
- Bengal to campaign against firecrackers - Oct 17, 2011
- Solar-powered New York rock band performs in Srinagar - Nov 12, 2011
- Visually-challenged students plant saplings in Kolkata - Jun 06, 2012
- Far from Copenhagen, Bangalore's 'green warriors' do their bit - Dec 09, 2009
- Siliguri cycle rally promotes safe, healthy environment - Jul 25, 2010
- Car rally organized to spread environment awareness in Delhi - Sep 05, 2010
- Cleanliness drives, electric car rallies mark World Environment Day in Delhi - Jun 05, 2010
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Wildlife film festival in Bhubaneswar - Dec 02, 2010
- Kashmir youth protest against human rights violations - Jul 20, 2010
- Tripura marks World Environment Day - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: ahmad, bicycle rally, bicycles, cleanliness, environmental degradation, fayaz, kashmir, locals, manufacturing company, nehru park, organisers, participant, plastic bags, pollution, prime reason, propagation, radio channel, social awareness, srinagar, stake