Country needs Congress’ experience to fight challenges facing it: SoniaMay 2nd, 2009 - 10:41 pm ICT by ANI
Shimla, May 2 (ANI): Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Saturday said that the country needs the party’s long experience in governance more than ever before to tackle the challenges facing it including terror.
Addressing an election rally in Shimla’s Ridge maidan, Sonia opted to highlight Congress party’s contribution in nation-building since independence.
“The country is facing serious challenges like terrorism from across the border and venom of communalism spread by some power-hungry parties…in this condition India needs Congress which has loads of experience in running government and has honest leadership,” Gandhi said addressing a mammoth rally at the famous Ridge maidan in Shimla.
Citing the “crucial role” played by the Congress party in country’s freedom struggle and in nation-building after independence, Sonia highlighted the contribution of successive Congress regimes at the Centre to the green revolution, telecom and computer revolution besides the construction of mega bridges, roads and power projects across the country.
Once again attacking the BJP leaders on their soft-on-terror charge, Sonia, without naming anybody, asked how the leaders of a coalition which gave “official hospitality” to dreaded terrorists and let them off at Kandahar had the moral courage to talk about fighting terrorism.
Sonia asked her political opponents to introspect and look into their own performance while in power before levelling “baseless allegations” against the Congress-led UPA regarding the manner in which it has dealt with terrorism. (ANI)
- Congress will hold brainstorming session: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 19, 2010
- Introspection needed, Sonia tells Congress members - Dec 19, 2010
- Congress is opposed to fundamentalism of all shades: Sonia Gandhi - Dec 19, 2010
- PM, Sonia must apologise for cash-for-votes scam: Gadkari - Nov 20, 2011
- PM to address Punjab rallies on Jan 21 - Jan 12, 2012
- Pitroda to join UP Congress manifesto release function - Jan 30, 2012
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Mayawati ignores common man, promotes corrupt: Rahul - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi, Rahul to attend party meet in Varanasi - May 16, 2011
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi meets Sonia, offers to quit - Mar 09, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Pranab appeal to rebels to withdraw nomination - Apr 15, 2011
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress' 125th year resolution praises Sonia's leadership - Dec 19, 2010
- Bad weather keeps Sonia away from Moga rally - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: allegations, bjp leaders, bridges, computer revolution, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, election rally, fighting terrorism, freedom struggle, green revolution, hospitality, kandahar, maidan, moral courage, nation building, political opponents, power projects, regimes, shimla, venom