Condom promotion month for AIDS awarenessJune 8th, 2009 - 11:11 pm ICT by ANI
Chandigarh, June 8 (ANI): In a novel mode of AIDS awareness, a non-governmental organisation in Chandigarh is holding `Condom Promotion Month’.
Launched jointly by Yuvsatta and State AIDS Control Society, the month long campaign includes a magic show that aims to spread AIDS awareness among truckers. It’s been noticed that a majority of the truckers are illiterate. They have no awareness about AIDS or HIV disease.
Starting from the transport area in the city, the campaign will cover different slum areas where people from downtrodden sections reside.
Besides a magic show, interactive one-to-one sessions, street plays, condom fairs, poster exhibitions and screening of films will be part of the promotional-cum-awareness campaign.
“It’s a month long campaign in which our staff members and other volunteers will be going door-to-door to meet truck drivers and people from other segments of the society for promoting usage of condom. We think that there is no cure for HIV / AIDS, only prevention is the cure. Thus, condom is the best method which everybody can use,” said Pramod Kumar, Coordinator Yuvsatta, the non government organisation.
Moreover, thousands of condom packets have been distributed to the people wherever the volunteers have so far gone for the campaign.
The awareness campaign aims to educate people, especially the youth and women and to motivate them to use condoms. It is hoped that it will prevent people from not only HIV infections but also from sexually transmitted diseases.
“Truck drivers stay away from their homes for a long time. And as sex becomes a necessity for them, they indulge in unsafe sex, which increases the chance of spreading HIV-AIDS. So, NGOs are coming forward to make them aware of the benefits of condom use. This is the main motto behind our campaign,” said Sunil Kumar, Consultant (Youth Affairs), Chandigarh State AIDS control society.
“These volunteers have explained to us the importance and use of condoms,” said Kalvinder Singh, a transporter.
“Whoever understands the importance of safe sex and is keen to guard against the disease, liked this programme,” said Happy, another transporter. In a population of nearly 1.1 million Chandigarh has an estimated 300,000 migrants living in slums.
Previously, Yuvsatta had opened `Condom bars’ at its field offices in different slums to distribute free condoms. The organization is also working among sex workers living in these slums.
Yuvsatta is aiming to educate truckers, as they believed to be one of the main groups responsible for spreading HIV infection. (ANI)
- Chandigarh starts condom promotion month - Jun 02, 2009
- CSD500: Erection inducing condoms developed - May 10, 2011
- Running short, Himachal borrows condoms from Punjab - Jul 13, 2011
- 'Condom van' spreads awareness about HIV/AIDS in Chandigarh - Nov 10, 2009
- Uganda faces condom shortage as demand soars - Feb 15, 2012
- After a condom bar, it's condom depots in Chandigarh - Jul 11, 2008
- Lady Gaga talks about safe sex and her egg 'Rebirth' - Feb 18, 2011
- Washington DC promotes the usage of female condoms to fight HIV/AIDS - Jul 29, 2010
- Truckers get lessons on HIV/AIDS - Dec 01, 2008
- Scriptures to help fight HIV-AIDS - Mar 12, 2011
- HIV project saved 100,000 in India from infection: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- Gaga to raise money for AIDS victims - Aug 31, 2011
- HIV/AIDS project reaches out to vulnerable truck drivers - Jun 22, 2011
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- HIV/AIDS cases on the rise in Assam - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: aids awareness, aids control, awareness campaign, condom promotion, condom use, government organisation, governmental organisation, hiv aids, hiv disease, hiv infections, magic show, novel mode, poster exhibitions, show interactive, slum areas, state aids, transport area, truck drivers, unsafe sex, youth affairs