Chinese monk’s self-immolation was planned: PoliceApril 23rd, 2011 - 4:18 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 23 (ANI): Police in China’s Aba county have claimed that the self-immolation by a Kirti Monastery monk last month was planned and aimed at triggering disturbances.
Rigzin Phuntsog, a 16-year-old monk at the Kirti Monastery, died on March 17, after setting himself on fire on March 16.
Investigations showed that on the evening of March 15, Phuntsog, accompanied by Lhadan, a monk in the monastery, bought three bottles of gasoline.
At around 9:00 am on March 16, Rigzin Phuntsog told Lhadan and other monks that he was ready and would set himself on fire.
After police on patrol put out the fire, some monks forcibly took Phuntsog away and held him for nearly 11 hours.
After hours of negotiation, the monks agreed to allow Phuntsog to be taken to hospital, but he died in hospital due to cardiorespiratory failure, the Xinhua News Agency reports.
Local law experts said the monks, were fully aware that Phuntsog was seriously burned and might die without immediate medical treatment, but refused to send him to hospital.
The Aba County government said in a circular issued that the government had decided to give legal education in Kirti Monastery and that the decision was made in light of “problems” existing in the monastery.
The county government said several monks have repeatedly disrupted social order.
Since 2008, some monks in the monastery have been found possessing guns and ammunition, committing criminal activities involving beating, smashing property, looting and arson, and carrying out self-immolation. (ANI)
- China monks face trial on charge of aiding suicide - Aug 26, 2011
- Two more Tibetan monks jailed in immolation case - Aug 31, 2011
- Chinese monks prevented from self-immolation - Sep 26, 2011
- Tibetan monk jailed for 11 years in immolation case - Aug 29, 2011
- Self-immolation bids sign of overseas instigation: China - Oct 18, 2011
- Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, dies - Nov 03, 2011
- Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China - Feb 14, 2012
- Two Tibetans set themselves afire in China - Oct 08, 2011
- Tibetan monk self-immolates in China - Mar 15, 2012
- US voices concern over monk's conviction in China - Sep 01, 2011
- End repression in Tibet: Amnesty - Sep 29, 2011
- End repression in Tibet, say exiles - Oct 10, 2011
- Eighth Tibetan sets himself on fire in southwestern China - Oct 16, 2011
- Clash at China's Tibetan monastery could turn 'explosive': Dalai Lama - Apr 17, 2011
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,