Chennai’s transgender activist trains community members in filmmakingNovember 20th, 2010 - 3:20 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Nov.20 (ANI): A transgender activist, Kalki Subramaniam, trains her community members in documentary film-making in Chennai.
Subramaniam said on Friday the Information Technology could play a tremendous role in the empowerment of marginalised, stigmatised transgender community.
“If you look our country (India), the current scenario is that in Information and Media Technology our country is one of the fastest growing countries in the world and actually this could play a tremendous role in the empowerment of marginalised, stigmatised community like our transgender community,” said Subramaniam.
A documentary, made by Kalki and seven transgender women, was recently screened at the Russian Cultural Centre in the city.
“Through this project ‘Kalki’, which is my dream project, I am training them (community members) as documentary filmmakers and mostly as community as journalists. So, they get a platform, they get good opportunity to tell the world not only about their stories but they can also tell the world about the issues they care for,” said Subramaniam.
Kalki with its community members has filmed seven documentaries to bring changes in the society about transgenders and projecting dangers from diseases like AIDS. (ANI)
- Two celebrity transgenders aspire to fight Tamil Nadu polls - Mar 13, 2011
- Transgenders promote their rights through Coimbatore film festival - Aug 27, 2010
- Chennai transgender model to compete in international pageant - Oct 13, 2011
- First Asian transgender activist invited to US programme - Sep 23, 2010
- Tareque Masud: face of Bangladesh's alternate cinema (Obituary) - Aug 15, 2011
- Jackson to make documentary on transgenders - Jun 06, 2012
- Gay pride parade taken out along Marina Beach in Chennai - Jun 28, 2010
- Kashish returns, set to take queer films straight to hearts - May 21, 2012
- Eunuch to contest upcoming Tamil Nadu polls - Mar 06, 2011
- Leopard on 'Ek Thi Daayan' sets (Movie Snippets) - Jun 08, 2012
- It's hard to keep up good work in Bollywood: Kalki Koechlin (Interview) - May 16, 2012
- Rangayan opts for crowdfunding for LGBT film - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Daayan' a supernatural mystery, not horror film: Kalki - Mar 01, 2012
- Carving space for real films on real people - Feb 04, 2011
- A matrimonial website for transsexual community launched - Aug 29, 2009
Tags: aids, chennai, community members, countries in the world, country india, diseases, documentaries, documentary film, documentary filmmakers, dream project, empowerment, filmmaking, information technology, journalists, media technology, russian cultural centre, trains community, transgender activist, transgender community, transgender women