Celebrate Columbus DayOctober 13th, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
October 12, time for celebration of Columbus Day and to commemorate the historic landing of Christopher Columbus in the Americas in 1492.
Columbus celebrations commemorate the Genoese explorer’s first expedition across the Atlantic Ocean in 1492.
Columbus, on commission by the Spanish monarchy, was hoping to find a new naval route to India and the other nations of the East, but instead found the American continent which was virtually unknown to Europeans at the time. Columbus’s sailor Rodrigo de Triana was the first on the voyage to spot land in the New World; he found the island the natives called Guanahani at approximately 2:00 AM on October 12, 1492.
The exact location of this island is unknown, though it was somewhere in the Bahamas. Columbus’s expedition launched the first large-scale European colonization of the Americas.
The first celebration of Columbus day was held in 1792, when New York City celebrated the 300th anniversary of his landing in the New World. In 1892, President Benjamin Harrison called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event.
Columbus Day is also a great opportunity to have some fun with family and enjoy entertaining crafts and activities.
- Happy Columbus Day 2009 - Oct 12, 2009
- October 11, Holiday For Columbus Day Creates A Debate - Oct 11, 2010
- Christopher Columbus history - Oct 12, 2009
- Is Columbus Day 2009 a holiday? - Oct 12, 2009
- What's Closed On Columbus Day? What's Open? - Oct 12, 2010
- Columbus Day Closings Benefitted The Casinos - Oct 12, 2010
- Christopher Columbus' historical voyage led to America's discovery - Oct 13, 2009
- First Americans 'reached Europe 500 years before Columbus voyages' - Nov 17, 2010
- Christopher Columbus was Polish, not Portuguese: Historian - Nov 30, 2010
- Columbus Day closings: State offices closed - Oct 10, 2011
- Federal Offices Observe Columbus Day Closing On Monday - Oct 12, 2009
- Celebrating 25 years of India's first globe sailing expedition (With images) - Jan 10, 2012
- Portugal refused to back Columbus for his West voyages - Oct 12, 2009
- Devotees celebrate Kartik Poornima boat festival in Bhubaneswar - Nov 21, 2010
- Columbus not to blame for syphilis in Europe, says expert - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: 1492 columbus, 300th anniversary, american continent, atlantic ocean, benjamin harrison, celebration, celebrations, christopher columbus, colonization of the americas, columbus day, european colonization, europeans, exact location, genoese, natives, october 12 1492, president benjamin harrison, rodrigo de triana, spanish monarchy, time columbus