Budding designers select Rahul Gandhi, Hema Malini as style iconsMay 8th, 2009 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
By Sunil Kumar
Chandigarh, May 8 (ANI): In a poll conducted by the Inter National Institute of Fashion Design (INIFD), student designers selected Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and actor-turned politician Hema Malini as ‘Political Style Icons of India’.
The poll was conducted at the 156 centres of INIFD across India in which 14,000 student designers voted.
Rahul Gandhi polled 50 per cent votes while his closest rival Navjot Singh Sidhu 20 per cent votes. Hema Malini polled 47 per cent votes while her closest rival Congress president Sonia Gandhi 31 per cent votes.
“I am pleased to announce that the political style icon male is Rahul Gandhi. He has won by a huge margin. He has got 50 per cent of votes polled. There is not even a close second winner. Sidhu pulled 20 per cent of votes and among the female category HemaMalini, she is the winner,” said Aditi Srivastava, VP, Corporate, INIFD.
Student designers were enthusiastic about knowing that Rahul Gandhi and Hema Malini have won in their respective categories.
“I am very happy that Rahul Gandhi won it because he deserves it. We are the fashion designers so we are under favour of Rahul Gandhi. And he is style icon, so we favour Rahul Gandhi. So we all voted for him,” said Manya Sabharwal, a student.
The polling was held purely based on looks and style and not on any political ideology. (ANI)
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Princess Diana's wedding dress voted the best ever - Mar 29, 2011
- David Beckham voted best dressed - Feb 20, 2012
- National leaders to campaign in Bengal next week - Apr 08, 2011
- Russian election commission declares Putin winner - Mar 08, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Lady Gaga named US style icon - Mar 18, 2011
- Hema Malini elected to Rajya Sabha - Mar 03, 2011
- Fashion Trends In Bollywood (1960 - 2010) - Jul 28, 2010
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Bollywood stars to grace Indian Football Awards - Sep 20, 2011
- Siliguri's budding designers showcase ethnic Indian outfits in fashion show - Nov 15, 2010
- Writer versus 'dream girl' in Karnataka Rajya Sabha poll - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, congress president sonia gandhi, fashion designers, favour, female category, general secretary, hema malini, India, inifd, national institute of fashion design, political ideology, poll, rahul gandhi, sidhu, student designers, style icon, style icons, vp