Buddha Jayanti celebrated in LehMay 9th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by ANI
Leh, May 9 (ANI): Thousands of enthusiastic Buddhism devotees converged at Leh in Ladakh region of Kashmir to celebrate Buddha Jayanti or, the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha on Saturday.
The festival was celebrated with great religious fervour and gaiety at several monasteries located in Ladakh and also in Kargil.
A huge congregation was witnessed at the famed Polo Grounds in Leh.
Senior Lamas (Buddhist monks) of Ladakh and heads of different organisations, prominent citizens addressed the huge gathering which alsoincluded hundreds of schoolchildren.
“Buddha Poornima is celebrated to remember the teachings of Lord Buddha. Buddha Jayanti which is the birthday of Lord Buddha is not onlycelebrated in India but all over the world in places like Thailand, Sri Lanka and Burma. It is celebrated with great pomp and show,” said Dr. TsewangYangjor, a Buddhist scholar in Leh.
Highlighting the teachings and life of Lord Buddha, Lobzang Rinchen who is the President of Buddhist Association, Leh, stressed upon the people to follow the path shown by Lord Buddha.
Besides, a colourful procession was taken out from Chokhang Vihara in which the monks participated holding religious books and reciting prayers.
Another notable attraction happened to be several tableaux depicting various facets and teaching of Lord Buddha and his life.
Passing through the main market and other neighbourhood streets of Leh, the procession terminated at the Polo Grounds. (ANI)
- Boy monk gets ceremonial welcome in Spiti - Sep 14, 2011
- Buddhist monastery in Ladakh celebrates Spituk Gustor festival - Jan 16, 2010
- From guns to Buddha to enlightening others, a monk's story (Feature with images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Performers flaunt centuries old costumes at Hemis Festival (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- Devotees celebrate Buddha Purnima in Uttar Pradesh - May 27, 2010
- Film 'Panchvati' introduced me to Buddhism: Deepti Naval - Nov 28, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated with full devotion in Tripura - May 27, 2010
- Sri Lanka gift brings Buddha alive in Nepal - May 17, 2011
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Dalai Lama gives sermon at Nyingma Monastery in Manali - Aug 22, 2010
- UP hosts 'Kapilvastu Mahotsav' to highlight teachings of Buddha - Jan 01, 2011
- President greets nation on Buddha Poornima - May 08, 2009
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
Tags: birth anniversary, buddha, buddha buddha, buddha jayanti, buddha poornima, buddhism, buddhist association, buddhist monks, devotees, gaiety, kashmir, lord buddha, monasteries, polo grounds, pomp, procession, religious books, religious fervour, schoolchildren, vihara