Big Bash must rely Indian, Windies stars, not ageing Oz ones: JulianApril 11th, 2011 - 8:17 am ICT by ANI
Sydney, Apr.11 (ANI): Former fast bowler and now TV commentator Brendon Julian has said Australia’s Big Bash 20-20 competition would be taking a backward step if it relies on aging stars like Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden.
Though the trio have starred in the lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition, Julian said emphasis should be placed on emerging talent and ensuring that every current Australian international was available to play alongside marquee players from overseas.
‘I don’t necessarily think we need Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist and those guys playing. I don’t think they’d want to play in the competition anyway. My biggest issue is we want as many [current] Australia players involved in the competition as possible,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Julian, as saying.
“I’d also want to see a steady flow of international players because that’s one of the true growing points of this league. We’d want at least two [overseas] internationals in each franchise - that should be compulsory,” he added.
“Indian players especially. There’s lots of Indian players not in the one-day or Test team, but they’d be good, and that’s what the competition should be about; grab players like [West Indian] Kieron Pollard,” he said.
Julian said the likes of Hayden, Warne and Gilchrist offered more worth as coaches and mentors. (ANI)
- Indian cricket board says no to Australia's Big Bash - Apr 30, 2011
- 'NOC clearance to play T20 tournaments could land cricket boards in legal trouble' - Oct 19, 2010
- Is Hayden planning a comeback in Big Bash? - Jul 02, 2011
- Pollard confirmed for Somerset's 2012 T20 campaign - Oct 16, 2011
- Kieron Pollard out of Big Bash with hamstring tear - Dec 16, 2011
- CA has no right to prevent uncontracted players from participating in IPL: Martyn - Mar 02, 2010
- Hussey unfazed with Yuvraj's barbs about Oz chances in WC quarterfinal - Mar 22, 2011
- India eyeing targeting Australia's weaknesses to win WC quarterfinal: Yuvraj - Mar 21, 2011
- Gayle returns to Sydney for Big Bash T20 - Jul 24, 2012
- Australia confident about taking on India: Hussey - Mar 22, 2011
- Gayle, Pollard, Bravo need WICB clearance to play in T20 Big Bash: CA chief - Oct 05, 2010
- I will welcome responsibility of captaining Australia: Watson - Jan 30, 2011
- Trinidad wants Bravo, Pollard, Narine for CLT20 - Sep 07, 2012
- Gibbs to feature in Sri Lanka Premier League - May 19, 2012
- Lee, now a victim of schism dividing Oz player participation in IPL - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: adam gilchrist, australia, brendon, emerging talent, franchise, internationals, julian, kieron, marquee players, matthew hayden, mentors, morning herald, premier league, shane warne, steady flow, sydney morning herald, test team, those guys, tv commentator, twenty20