Bhopal hosts puppet festivalMay 17th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by ANI
By R. C. Sahu
Bhopal, May 17 (ANI): Hundreds of people visited a three-day puppet festival here in which entertaining skits were performed by various artistes.
Organised at the popular Rabindar Bhavan between May 12 to 14, the festival was a hit among the young and old alike.
Children, in particular, enjoyed the event the most, as they had gala time at the festival dancing and rejoicing attractive performances of puppets.
“I liked the elephant puppet and the monkey dance at the show. I liked the first puppet act of the show,” said Kriti, a young girl visitor at the puppet festival.
Also, the festival brought together different puppet theatre groups from across the country to display their puppetry skills.
“I am from the Kolkata Puppet Theatre group. I am very happy to be here. We have got good reception. We are going to perform ‘Black Deer’ puppet show today,” said Shika Dutta of Kolkata Puppet Theatre Group.
Shikha also stated that events like these with ample patronage would help the puppetry and puppet artistes gain more scope to exhibit their skills. It would also earn them more popularity among the younger generation, the kids in particular.
Various puppets group from West Bengal, Assam, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh participated in this gala and colourful festival.
Puppetry is a traditional art form, whose popularity is fast declining, as the modern-day entertainment options like television, movies and Internet are fast displacing it particularly in the urban areas. (ANI)
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Colours, innovations to dazzle puppet stage in Delhi (With Image) - Feb 01, 2011
- India, Pakistan likely to sign culture pact - Apr 16, 2012
- Puppet exhibition in Bhopal a major tourist attraction - Jan 30, 2010
- From streets to stage: Living, breathing and dancing Tagore - May 01, 2012
- Obamas' India experience to be showcased at Maximum India fest - Nov 15, 2010
- Kolkata activists spread AIDS awareness through puppet show - Sep 20, 2010
- Troupe from Tripura, Manipur to perform in Germany - Sep 05, 2012
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- Exhibition in London to showcase Indian culture, goods - Jul 11, 2012
- Kailash Kher to perform at OzAsia Festival - Aug 09, 2012
- Bengali folk theatre gets a Bollywood twist (Feature) - Jul 18, 2011
- Ravana, puppets, dance in Nida Mahmood show - Oct 10, 2011
- NSD, Polish drama academy ink agreement (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: art form, assam, black deer, chhattisgarh, colourful festival, day entertainment, entertainment options, gala time, monkey dance, puppet festival, puppet show, puppet theatre, puppets, rajasthan, sahu, skits, theatre group, theatre groups, west bengal, younger generation