Beauty parlours in Rajkot give concessions to women votersApril 30th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
By Suresh Soni
Rajkot, Apr 30 (ANI): Beauty parlours in Rajkot are giving special concessions to women who cast their vote.
Voting for the third phase of general elections began here on Thursday from 7:00 a.m.
Although the Election Commission have been propagating in many ways to increase the voter’s turnout during the polling sessions, but a beauty parlour is propagating it through beauty.
Monalisa parlour is giving beauty concessions and free treatments to the women folk and young girls of Rajkot who are casting their votes.
The owner of the parlour, Isha Yagnik said that the idea behind the introduction of this scheme was to encourage the women folk to cast their votes.
“Women here are mostly engrossed in their household chores and children. They hardly find time to go for voting. We have come up with this scheme that whosoever would cast their vote, we will provide them with free of cost haircut and eyebrow shape up. Whereas, we would provide 50 per cent discounts to them on our other costly treatments,” said Yagnik.
Large number of women, mostly young girls queued up outside the parlour after casting their votes, to get their free treatments done.
All of them seemed quite pleased with this pocket friendly scheme.
“Today, for the first time I cast my vote. I am very happy because I have done something for my country by casting my vote. I have also become beautiful along with it,” said Pranali, an 18-year-old voter.
During the last assembly elections, only 42 per cent women turned up for voting in Rajkot. But Monalisa parlour has been successful in increasing the number of female voters in the current elections. (ANI)
- Palpable sense of change as Bihar votes (Feature) - Nov 02, 2010
- Assam voters pitch for development - Apr 17, 2011
- Indian lawmakers vote to elect new president (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Empowered women voters changing electoral dynamics: Experts - Mar 09, 2012
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Antony campaigns, showers praise on Chandy government - May 29, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Polling ends in Puducherry - Apr 13, 2011
- Brisk polling in Puducherry (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Delhi votes to pick trifurcated civic body (Fourth Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Don't know the candidate, voting for Sheila (Sidelights) - Apr 15, 2012
- Lyricist Gulzar's name missing from electoral rolls! - Feb 16, 2012
- Voting picks up in Delhi civic polls (Third Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, beauty parlour, concessions, costly treatments, election commission, eyebrow shape, general elections, haircut, household chores, isha, last assembly, monalisa, sessions, soni, vote, women voters, young girls