“Beating the Retreat” ceremony at Wagah border to be less aggressiveJuly 22nd, 2010 - 11:15 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Wagah, July 22 (ANI): Spectators converging at the Wagah Border will soon miss the high aggression as often displayed during the “Beating the Retreat” ceremony here by the border guards of India and Pakistan.
Two years ago, in a bid to support the Confidence Building Measures (CBMs), the Indian and Pakistan border guards had decided to do away with the aggressive gesture during the beating the retreat ceremony but failed to implement the decision on ground.
As the Border Security Force has started practicing the toned-down gestures, the Pakistani Rangers have also decided to respond to their Indian counterparts in response.
Moreover, the lowering of the flags, called “Beating the Retreat”, may soon see the female cops of the Border Security Force (BSF) becoming a permanent feature of the ceremony conducted every evening at the India-Pakistan joint check post of the Attari border.
Initially, two women constables will perform duty of pilots before daily retreat ceremony, wearing ceremonial dress.
Earlier, women constables used to guard BOP’s gates, frisking of women folks at the International Border gates as the latter would go beyond barbed fence to work in their fields, and manage crowd at Attari during the retreat ceremony among its other responsibilities. (ANI)
- Attari-Wagah Border: A modified retreat, "a show that must go on" - Nov 04, 2010
- Song and dance too: noisy overture to India-Pakistan daily 'war' - Mar 16, 2011
- Pakistan Rangers offer BSF sweets on I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- India, Pakistan border guards exchange Diwali sweets - Oct 26, 2011
- Female BSF guards to be part of 'Beating the Retreat' ceremony at Wagah border - Jul 23, 2010
- Now women will guard the frontiers - Jul 21, 2009
- India-Pakistan border guards meet at Wagah-Attari check post - Aug 09, 2010
- Pakistan refuses to stop boot-stomping at Wagah (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- BSF gives Pakistan Rangers sweets at Punjab border (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Pak rejects India's request to tone down Wagah ceremony - Nov 07, 2010
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah border to become history - Oct 30, 2010
- From Friday, BSF women will man India-Pakistan border - Sep 10, 2009
- Women will man India-Pakistan border, come Friday (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,