Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur’s Tata Zoological ParkDecember 11th, 2010 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
By Anup Sinha
Jamshedpur (Jharkhand), Dec.11 (ANI): The Aurangabad Municipal Corporation Zoo located in Maharashtra gifted a tigress to the Tata Zoological Park in Jamshedpur.
Rita, a beautiful striped feline beauty, arrived at Jamshedpur on Friday.
Zoo Authority of India, a nodal agency overseeing the functioning of all the zoological gardens in the country, had endorsed this inter-zoo transfer of the tigress.
“We have got this feline which is a tigress, her name is Rita and it is a gift from Aurangabad Municipal Corporation zoo to Tata Zoological Park,” said Bipul Chakraborty, the Tata Steel Zoological Park director.
According to the zoo veterinarians, the tigress as of now will be kept under close observation because of the change in its environment and climatic conditions.
To give relief after the long journey, the tigress will be administered appropriate medicines.
“This tigress has come from Aurangabad zoo by travelling about 1500 to 1600 kilometres and is very exhausted. So, for the next one-week, we have to keep her in close observation in intensive care to look how much she is eating, drinking and sleeping,” said Dr. Manik Palit, a veterinarian, Tata Steel Zoological Park.
“For some days we will give her anti-stress medicines so that her exhaustion goes away. Public will not be allowed for the time being and only keeper will be there to take of her and we will constantly watch her inputs in morning and evening,” he added.
Palit further said since Jamshedpur is also located in a hilly terrain like Aurangabad, the tigress will get acclimatised soon.
The winter in Jamshedpur being severe as compared to Maharashtra, heaters have been installed outside the cage to render warmth for the tigress. (ANI)
- Wanted: a match for a female tiger - Feb 12, 2009
- Jameshedpur's Tata Zoo starts deer sterilization drive - Aug 11, 2010
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Will Dhoni adopt a tiger please! - May 03, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- The only white tigress of Patna zoo dies - Jul 03, 2011
- Lucknow zoo takes up breeding of famed white tigers - Aug 11, 2009
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Injured tigress gets treatment in Uttarakhand - Nov 26, 2010
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Tiger cubs spread joy at Aurangabad zoo (With Image) - Apr 14, 2010
- Polar bear dies from zebra virus - Aug 18, 2012
- Flying foxes get sanctuary in Jharkhand (Feature with images) - Nov 20, 2009
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: anup, climatic conditions, close observation, exhaustion, hilly terrain, intensive care, inter zoo, jharkhand, long journey, manik, morning and evening, nodal agency, park director, sinha, tata steel, tigress, veterinarian, zoo veterinarians, zoological gardens, zoological park