Archery champion Deepika, an inspiration for the youthJuly 30th, 2009 - 7:44 pm ICT by ANI
By Girija Shankar Ojha
Ranchi, July 30 (ANI): Fifteen-year-old Deepika Kumari, who won the 11th Youth World archery Championship held in Ogden, Utah, USA, recently, is today an inspiration for youngsters across the country and world.
Born to an auto rickshaw driver, Deepika did not let her family’s economic background come in her way. Her talent saw her through. Her parents were supportive but financially they were unable to afford much.
At her Ratucheti Village, about 12 kilometres from Ranchi, Deepika’s proud father fondly recalls the days when she would aim at mangoes and not be satisfied till all of them were on the ground.
“I never imagined that my daughter would achieve so much. But I was overjoyed to read about it in the newspaper. I showed it to everyone, and they too joined in the celebration.”
However, despite her difficult circumstances, Deepika went on to defeat the best international archers in her age group during the competition.
Trained at the Tata Archery academy at Ranchi, Deepika is also the current senior National and sub-junior National champion.
She won the cadet recurve women’s gold medal at the 11th Youth World Archery Championship at Ogden (Utah) in the U.S. to emerge as the World champion in archery.
Playing consistently throughout the tournament, Deepika scored 115 and 112 in the quarterfinals and semi-finals. She beat her Russian opponent, Sayana Tsyrempilova, 115-109 in the finals.
“It felt very good. It was for the first time that I had gone so far; it felt good that after going all the way there I was able to win a medal. It was a very long tournament,” Deepika said.
Now, with the title under her belt, Deepika aims at winning a medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
With this victory at international level, Deepika has become the second Indian to win the title after Palton Hansda won the World champion at Merida (Mexico) in 2006 by winning the junior compound individual gold medal. (ANI)
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Deepika keeps India in hunt for gold at Youth World Archery - Jul 17, 2009
- Deepika wins gold in world youth archery - Aug 28, 2011
- From mangoes to archery gold, Deepika Kumari is on target (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Deepika happy to be World No.1, but focus is on London - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Jharkhand to felicitate CWG medalists - Oct 15, 2010
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Archer Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title - May 05, 2012
- Foreign coach, overseas training must for London Olympics: Deepika - Dec 03, 2010
- Electric shock kills former junior archery champion - Jul 10, 2012
- CWG archery: Deepika wins gold, Dola bronze (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Jharkhand government felicitates CWG archers, ignores hockey player - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,