Apple crop affected due to adverse weather conditions in Himachal PradeshMay 23rd, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by ANI
By Prem Thakur
Kullu (HP), May 23 (ANI): The apple crop in Kullu has been affected due to lack of adequate snowfall and rains in Kullu in Himachal Pradesh.
A good crop of apples requires an average of 1200-1600 ‘chilling hours’, adequate snowfall and rainfall, and suitable temperature at the time of flowering, which this year were unfavourable.
To add to the woes of the apple growers there was heavy snowfall on the higher mountain reaches leading to a drop in temperatures affecting flowering of the trees.
There was also fluctuation at the time of pollination as the pollinizers (variety of trees used to enhance pollination) flowered before the other varieties of apples affecting the pollination.
“The crop is expected to be less this time as their was no snowfall during winters hence the chilling requirement for apple trees was not met,” said Suresh Sharma, orchardist.
The production of apples is expected to fall by as much as 40 percent as per the horticulture department.
“The production of apples would be less this year. Normally the production is about 140,000 metric tonnes but the weather this time was not favourable. We are expecting nearly a 40 percent fall in apple production,” said Naresh Sharma, Deputy Director, Horticulture Department, and Himachal Pradesh.Crop production has not been very good in the years as well.
Almost 92000 hectares of land in the state is under apple production.80 per cent of the people in the state are directly or indirectly associated with this business.A fall in production is bound to affect the livelihood of all these people associated with either growing or trading of apples. (ANI)
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Plastic bags help pollination in apple gardens in Kullu - Apr 09, 2011
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Dry weather affects apple farming in Kullu - Dec 26, 2010
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Apple growers expect bumper crop in Kullu - Apr 09, 2010
- Record cherry pick expected from Himachal - Apr 25, 2010
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Extended chill hits Himachal's cherry production - May 30, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Rains help Himachal's apple crop, record output likely - Jun 09, 2010
- Weatherman forecasts cold week for Kashmir - Apr 26, 2012
- Snowfall raises hopes of good apple harvest in Himachal - Jan 07, 2009
Tags: adverse weather conditions, apple crop, apple growers, apple production, apple trees, crop production, deputy director, fluctuation, heavy snowfall, hectares, horticulture department, livelihood, metric tonnes, pollination, rainfall, suitable temperature, thakur, varieties of apples, variety of trees, woes