Annual monsoon festival at Gaya’s Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrimsAugust 13th, 2010 - 7:17 pm ICT by ANI
Gaya (Bihar), Aug 13 (ANI): An annual monsoon festival at the Mahabodhi temple in Gaya, Bihar, is attracting hundreds of Hindu pilgrims.
“Pilgrims come to pay obeisance and respect God. They also visit the Sarovar and Bodhi Bridge here,” said Bhante Dhammisara, a monk at the Mahabodhi temple.
Acknowledged as a world heritage monument in 2002, the Bodh Gaya Temple has since drawn a large number of foreign tourists.
Lord Buddha is known to have attained Nirvana (salvation) under the Bodhi Tree where the temple now stands.
“I came to Gaya to pay obeisance to Lord Buddha at the Bodhi temple,” said Ratnesh, a Kanwaria pilgrim.
Kanwaria pilgrims undergo a rite in which they fetch water from the Ganga River on foot for offering to Shiva during the monsoon season.
This annual ritual takes place during the auspicious month of Shravan.
All Kanwarias take a holy bath in the River Ganga at Sultanganj and then fetch the water, which they carry on foot to Baba Dham, 103 kilometres away in neighbouring Jharkhand. (ANI)
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Muslim vendors sell auspicious apparel for Hindu devotees in Varanasi - Jul 22, 2010
- Religious brotherhood: Muslims craft 'kanwars' for Hindu pilgrims (Feature)(With Image) - Aug 13, 2011
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Kanwaria electrocuted to death in Ghaziabad - Aug 03, 2010
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
Tags: bihar, bodh gaya, bodhi tree, buddha, ganga river, hindu pilgrims, kilometres, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, monk, monsoon season, nirvana, obeisance, pilgrim, respect god, river ganga, sarovar, shravan, tourists, world heritage monument