Tropical storm Laura looses steam and weakens completelyOctober 1st, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by David M N James
Highly feared and susceptible Tropical Storm Laura has lost strength already drowning the fears that it was headed to become a major threat by the weekend.
Storm Laura became weaker late Tuesday as it pushed north in the Atlantic Ocean. The National Hurricane center in Miami observed that at around 11 p.m., the center of the storm was 330 miles southeast of Cape Race, Newfoundland.
The wind speeds had decreased and so was the intensity of the rains. This dispelled fears that the storm would engulf the coast in a torrent of rain and destructive howling winds by today or tomorrow. The National Hurricane Center had mapped a path of the Laura trajectory and had already established that Laura was moving north-northeast at 16 mph. The trajectory showed that the winds were moving towards the north coast of Ireland and Scotland by Saturday. Forecasters had already established that Laura would loose steam and eventually be stripped its tropical characteristics before long. Weather and hurricane experts put the maximum sustained winds of tropical storm Laura at 11 p.m. were 50 mph, a drop of 10 mph in five hours.
Experts have charted assessment charts which show that a tropical storm winds extend 230 miles from the storms center.
- Tropical Storm Jose passes west of Bermuda - Aug 29, 2011
- Bermuda cancels tropical storm warning as Gert turns to the northeast - Aug 16, 2011
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in North Carolina, killing 3 - Aug 27, 2011
- Tropical storm Jose spotted in Bermuda - Aug 29, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- Hurricane Paula battering Cuba's western coast - Oct 14, 2010
- Tropical Storm Lee forms in the Gulf of Mexico, heads for Louisiana - Sep 03, 2011
- National Hurricane Center Expands Hurricane Watch Region As Hurricane Earl Gets Ready To Lash - Sep 01, 2010
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Powerful Hurricane Karl makes landfall on Mexico's Gulf coast - Sep 18, 2010
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Tropical storm Cindy moving away from land - Jul 21, 2011
- Tropical storm Gert to hit Bermuda - Aug 15, 2011
- Tropical Storm Hermine hits northeastern Mexico, Texas - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: atlantic ocean, center of the storm, fears, forecasters, howling winds, hurricane experts, intensity, maximum sustained winds, national hurricane center, newfoundland, north coast, steam, storms, torrent, trajectory, tropical characteristics, tropical storm winds, weather and hurricane, weekend storm, wind speeds