Strong quake hits Japan and Indonesia, Tsunami warningSeptember 11th, 2008 - 11:42 am ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Earth quake magnitude 7 hits Japan at Thursday, 11 September at 9:20 AM JST and 6.6 Richter shakes Indonesia at 9:00 AM local time.
7.0 Richter struck off the coast of Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido, the quake was located at 41.979°N, 143.625°E at the depth of 35 km, epicenter was 125 km from Kushiro, 225 km from Asahikawa, 225 km from Sapporo, Hokkaido and 775 km from Tokyo, Japan. The Japanese meteorological reported.
A warning was issued for a 50 cm tsunami along the eastern coast of Hokkaido and the northeastern coast of Japan’s main island of Honshu. Authorities ordered people to stay away from beaches. There are no reports damages. The force of the quake had not broken windows or knocked items from shelves , official said.
While 6.6 Richter shaken Halmahera of Indonesia at 93 km beneath the Molucca Sea. The quake located at 1.865°N, 127.439°E, epicenter was 120 km from Ternate, 290 km from Manado of Indonesia, 1575 km from Manila, Philippines and 2460 km from Jakarta of Indonesia.
Residents in Manado, a city on Sulawesi island around 290km from the epicenter, fled their homes as the earth rumbled beneath them. However casualties or damage have not been reported.
“We haven’t reported any casualties or damage yet,” said Jimmy Rimba Rogi, the city’s mayor, adding that people along the coast, well prepared for tsunamis, also ran inland. “But we’re still monitoring.”
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake hits Japan - Apr 21, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- 6-magnitude quake off Japan's Honshu island - Mar 13, 2011
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits Japan - Oct 21, 2011
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- Second temblor rocks Indonesia - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Quakes rock Japan island (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: 11 september, earth quake, epicenter, halmahera, hokkaido, honshu, jst, kushiro, manado, manila philippines, molucca sea, northeastern coast, quake hits, rimba, rogi, sapporo, ternate, tokyo japan, tsunami warning, tsunamis