National Doughnut Day todayJune 5th, 2009 - 11:52 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Americans around the nation will today pay homage to the humble doughnut, aka donut, for the 71st year.
Originally introduced in 1938 as a fundraising event by the Chicago Salvation Army, National Doughnut Day has become part of modern day American culture.
Across America independent and franchise doughnut stores will celebrate the deep fried piece of dough with a hole in the middle that first emerged in the early 1800s by giving away free doughnuts to customers.
The traditional hole-in the middle ring of deep fried dough sprinkled with sugar has evolved from its humble beginnings and is now available in the traditional torus shape, glazed with a seemingly endless range of toppings, or as a round or sphere shaped object injected with jam, jelly, cream, custard, or other sweet fillings, or topped with similar high calorific flavourings.
Traditionally celebrated on the first Friday of June, National Doughnut Day is perhaps the one day of the year when Americans can chow down on a bag of the starch, sugar and fat snacks without feeling to guilty about their bulging waist lines or dimpled bum cheeks.
Throughout the US major chains such as Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme will be handing out the calorie busting snacks, with the former giving a doughnut of choice to customers making any purchase, and the latter giving out doughnuts with no purchase required.
- On Donuts Day Americans Gorge On The Free Snacks - Jun 05, 2010
- Today is National Doughnut Day 2012 - Jun 01, 2012
- America celebrates National Doughnut Day 2009 - Jun 05, 2009
- New 'healthy' flavoured water has as much sugar as 3 doughnuts - Feb 21, 2011
- Krispy Kreme Burger: The Making of a "Killer" Snack - Aug 19, 2010
- Krispy Kreme All Set To Open New Store In Philadelphia - Oct 02, 2010
- Definition: What are Paczkis? - Feb 21, 2012
- Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger To Be Introduced At The Wisconsin State Fair - Aug 18, 2010
- Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger: 1000 Plus Calorie "Luther Burger" - Aug 18, 2010
- Krispy Kreme Challenge raises $40,000 for a North Carolina hospital - Feb 07, 2010
- Packed with 1000 calories, the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger is not for the faint-hearted - Aug 18, 2010
- Feasting on Holi delicacies (Recipes) - Mar 06, 2012
- Applebees, Subway, others Honor Veterans Day - Nov 12, 2010
- Doughnut Burgers And Deep-Fried Butter Represent The Popular New Foods At The State Fairs In America - Aug 11, 2010
- Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger: The Calorie Behemoth - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: bum cheeks, cream custard, day of the year, donut, dunkin donuts, early 1800s, endless range, first friday, free doughnuts, fried dough, fundraising event, hole in the middle, humble beginnings, jam jelly, krispy kreme, national doughnut day, salvation army, sweet fillings, torus shape, waist lines