Hurricane Ike is worse threat than previous hurricanes, warns National Hurricane CentreSeptember 4th, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by David M N James
A new hurricane has already formed as tropical storm Hannah lumbers across the main land towards Bahamas.
Tropical storm Ike has formed and is already gaining immense strength as it lumbers across the Atlantic as a powerful Category 4 storm. Tropical storm Ike is churning westward in the open ocean after rapidly gaining strength and speed late Wednesday evening into a ferocious Category 4 hurricane with winds near 135 mph (215 kph).
According to officials at the National Hurricane Center, is an “extremely dangerous” category four storm in the Atlantic Ocean. Early today, its winds have a gained a speed of 215 kilometers making it an extremely dangerous category four hurricane” on the five-level Saffir-Simpson scale. The powerful storm Ike is now the fifth hurricane of the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season. Its trajectory is over the Atlantic far away from any land with its epicenter by 0300 GMT today being located about 980 kilometers or 610 miles northeast of the Leeward Islands. Hurricane Ike by then was moving west-northwest at 28 kilometers (17 miles) per hour. Tropical storm Ike is expected to move west over the west-central Atlantic over the next two days.
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Hurricane Irene weakens slightly as it marches toward North Carolina - Aug 26, 2011
- Bermuda on alert as Hurricane Leslie approaches - Sep 07, 2012
- Hurricane Earl may strike U.S. east coast - Sep 01, 2010
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in the far eastern Atlantic, set to become major hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Insured losses in the Carolinas estimated between $200-$400 million - Aug 28, 2011
- Hurricane Earl threatens Caribbean - Aug 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Jose passes west of Bermuda - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane Danielle unexpectedly weakens to a category two storm, aims for Bermuda - Aug 24, 2010
- Tropical Storm Fiona Moving Northwest - Sep 03, 2010
- Hurricane Igor Spins it's Way Across Atlantic - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: atlantic hurricane season, category 4 hurricane, dangerous category, immense strength, leeward islands, national hurricane center, national hurricane centre, previous hurricanes, tropical storm hannah, west northwest