Hurricane Ike causes death and uncertaintySeptember 12th, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by David M N James
Hurricane Ike has become the season’s worst nemesis after becoming the most powerful and uncertain weather phenomenon’s.
Ike has gained more strength, caused more deaths and wreaked havoc in people’s lives. Currently, Ike is headed for Houston Texas with winds howling increasing the uncertainty of tranquil once more. The hurricane has bore down on Texas forcing all neighborhoods and possibly the entire coastal communities to be inundated during the period of peak storm tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family, one- or two-story homes will face certain death officials have warned.
Hurricane Ike bore down on Texas and has led to what is deemed the most worrisome humanitarian and weather crisis of the times. The hurricane smashed on the Texan lives leading to massive evacuations due to flooding and also prompting mandatory evacuations. Weather experts have warned residents against ignoring the evacuation orders. They have said that Ike will cause deaths and immense loss of property and lives.
Crude oil prices have rose from a five-month low as Hurricane Ike headed toward a near-direct hit on Houston, the busiest US refining center in the United States.
Hurricane Ike has tripled in size in the central Gulf of Mexico. It is now a Category 2 hurricane with sustained winds of 100 mph (160 kph). Hurricane Ike is following a track which is the same as the one followed in 1900 by Galveston hurricane that killed 8,000 people.
Galveston remains in history as the deadliest storm in U.S. history.
- 'Hurricane Ike gets bigger than Katrina with its 50ft high waves' says National Hurricane Centre - Sep 13, 2008
- Tropical Storm Hermine hits northeastern Mexico, Texas - Sep 07, 2010
- Tropical storm Hermine hits Texas & Mexico - Sep 08, 2010
- Hurricane Irene kills four in US - Aug 28, 2011
- Hurricane Tomas Strengthens, Becomes Category 2 - Oct 31, 2010
- Ike looses steam to a category 2 storm as it continues killing people - Sep 08, 2008
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams Big Apple; leaves 3 mn powerless in US - Aug 28, 2011
- Tropical Storm Lee forms in the Gulf of Mexico, heads for Louisiana - Sep 03, 2011
- Canada is bracing up for Hurricane Maria - Sep 16, 2011
- Insured losses in the Carolinas estimated between $200-$400 million - Aug 28, 2011
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Tropical storm Katia strengthens - Aug 30, 2011
- Hurricane warning issued for Bermuda as Igor nears - NHC - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: category 2 hurricane, coastal communities, crude oil prices, deaths, direct hit, evacuation orders, galveston hurricane, gulf of mexico, havoc, houston texas, immense loss, massive evacuations, nemesis, single family, storm tide, sustained winds, uncertain weather, uncertainty, weather experts, weather phenomenon