Yamuna to fall below danger mark by Monday morning (Lead)September 26th, 2010 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) The water level in the swollen Yamuna will fall below the danger level by Monday morning, an official of the department of irrigation and flood control said Sunday.
“The Yamuna has receded to 204.94 metres as of now and short spurts of water are being released from Haryana, which is normal,” the official told IANS.
“It is expected that the water level will be at 204.60 by 5 p.m. Monday which is 23 cm below the danger mark,” he added.
The department had earlier said that the water level would drop below the danger mark by Sunday evening.
The river had risen by 2.25 metres above the danger mark Wednesday night and touched 207.08 metres.
As the Yamuna crossed the 207 metre-mark Wednesday, many residential colonies like GTB Nagar, Mukherjee Nagar, areas near Delhi University’s North Campus and Kashmere Gate Inter-State Bus Terminus were waterlogged with nearly two-feet of water.
Breaking a 32-year-record, Haryana released a maximum discharge of 744,507 cusecs water from the Hathinikund barrage Monday, creating panic of floods in Delhi.
- Yamuna ebbs further, still flowing above danger level (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna below danger mark by Sunday evening - Sep 26, 2010
- Yamuna recedes but still flowing above danger mark - Sep 23, 2010
- No threat of floods in Delhi: Minister (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna swells, raises flood fears in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Rain fury in north India, rivers in spate (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Flood threat recedes as Yamuna's water level goes down - Sep 25, 2010
- Yamuna below danger mark at Delhi - Aug 20, 2011
- Yamuna swells, flood threat increases in Delhi - Sep 22, 2010
- Yamuna flows above danger mark in Delhi, key bridge shut (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Key bridge closed as Yamuna flows 1.33 m above danger mark - Sep 21, 2010
- People near Yamuna to be moved - Aug 27, 2012
- Tehri water rises, Yamuna abates in Haryana (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2010
- Yamuna crosses danger mark - Aug 17, 2011
- Flood threat in Delhi, Haryana releases more water (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: barrage, bus terminus, colonies, danger level, danger mark, delhi university, flood control, floods, haryana, inter state, irrigation, kashmere gate, maximum discharge, monday morning, New Delhi, spurts, sunday evening, two feet, water level, wednesday night