Yamuna rises alarmingly in Agra, MathuraSeptember 14th, 2010 - 2:26 am ICT by IANS
Agra, Sep 13 (IANS) As the Yamuna’s water level began receding in Delhi, the situation in Mathura and Agra became alarming Monday as the river began flooding the low-lying areas, leading to evacuation of the residents.
In Mathura, the river is already flowing a metre above the danger mark, while it crossed the lower warning level of 495 feet Monday evening, forcing district authorities to arrange for shifting of people to safer areas.
Agra District Magistrate Amrit Abhijat said: “The water level is rising continuously. People should stop moving around the banks and should not be using boats. Swimmers can also wait as the current is fast.”
He said 41 posts along the banks would keep a round the clock vigil.
Arrangements for temporary stay of the flood victims had been made at half a dozen places.
Announcements were being made on the loudspeakers in the areas that were likely to be flooded, requesting people to move out.
District officials said the dozen odd drains opening into the river would start back-flowing and this could pose a serious health hazard. A total of 35 pumpsets had therefore been installed and medical teams posted to keep control on the situation, they said.
Abhijat told media persons that the river level could go up to 497.8 feet
He said a dozen areas along the river in the city facing a flood threat had been identified and in the rural areas, more than 20 villages could be affected.
Stocks from warehouses of wholesalers and transport companies on the river bank road were being shifted as a panic gripped the people in Taj city who were fearing a repeat of 1978 flood.
“And with reports of more discharge from Haryana Monday, we do not see an early respite,” said Nandan Shrotriya, a priest in a temple along the river.
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
- Swollen Yamuna poses flood threat to Agra - Sep 12, 2010
- Flood fears abate in Taj city - Sep 17, 2010
- Yamuna water rising, flood situation grim in Agra - Sep 24, 2010
- Yamuna rise has Agra residents in panic - Sep 10, 2010
- Agra, Mathura badly hit as Yamuna water rises - Sep 25, 2010
- Yamuna nears danger mark in Agra - Aug 28, 2010
- Agra monuments, colonies flooded as Yamuna level rise - Sep 26, 2010
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger mark in Agra - Sep 28, 2010
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Flood situation in Agra worsens - Sep 27, 2010
- Taj sparkles as Yamuna flows full - Aug 22, 2011
- Yamuna, Chambal rivers in spate - Aug 25, 2012
- Prayers on banks of flooded Yamuna in Agra - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: danger mark, district authorities, district magistrate, district officials, dozen areas, flood threat, flood victims, half a dozen, haryana, health hazard, loudspeakers, mathura, media persons, medical teams, pumpsets, respite, serious health, transport companies, vigil, water level