Woman washed away in Kashmir flash floods, alert soundedSeptember 16th, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 16 (IANS) A woman was washed away and many houses in south Kashmir were damaged Friday following flash floods caused by incessant rains since Thursday, officials said, adding an alert has been sounded.
The weather office has, however, forecast fair weather Saturday, dispelling fears of any impending floods in the Kashmir Valley and asking people not to panic.
“The gauges of Jhelum river touched danger level of 18 feet at Ram Munshibagh in Srinagar at 5 p.m. The chief engineer, irrigation and flood control, Kashmir, has sounded flood alert and directed all zonal flood committees to report for duty and establish their control rooms,” the statement said.
“However, with the improvement in weather, the situation is fast returning to normal and public has been asked not to panic,” the statement said.
The Kashmir divisional commissioner and inspector general of police (IGP) visited Tral town where the woman was swept away and the houses were damaged.
“The affected families were shifted to safer locations and provided temporary shelter and free rations,” a senior official said here.
Sonum Lotus, director of the local weather office, has dispelled the fears of any impending floods in the valley.
“The weather has already started showing signs of improvement since today afternoon. We are expecting fair weather from tomorrow (Saturday) onwards,” Lotus told IANS.
- After rains, Kashmir Valley can expect sunshine - Apr 22, 2010
- Flood alert in Kashmir Valley - May 29, 2010
- Flood alert in Kashmir - Sep 10, 2012
- Heavy rain forecast for Kashmir, farmers worried - Sep 07, 2012
- No flood threat in Kashmir Valley - Apr 19, 2011
- Rain worries Kashmir farmers, but fair weather cometh - Sep 16, 2011
- Incessant rains raise water levels in Kashmir rivers - Apr 21, 2010
- Rivers swell in Kashmir Valley after rains - May 28, 2010
- Kashmir weather office dispels alarmist forecasts - Aug 28, 2011
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Hailstorms damage orchards, bring on cold in Kashmir - May 01, 2012
- One killed as violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Kashmir begins dredging of Jhelum river after 26 years - Mar 24, 2012
- Spring rain in Kashmir, farmers elated - Apr 11, 2012
- Snow and rain to lash Kashmir Valley - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: chief engineer, danger level, divisional commissioner, fair weather, fears, flash floods, flood alert, flood control, incessant rains, inspector general, irrigation, kashmir, kashmir valley, local weather, lotus, ram munshibagh, rations, south kashmir, temporary shelter, weather office