Woman trampled to death by elephantsJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 22 (IANS) A woman was trampled to death by a herd of elephants and another injured in Jharkhand’s Gumla district Thursday, police said.
The herd of elephants, which entered Gonmar village in the district, around 140 km from Ranchi, chased the two women who were collecting wood, killing one and injuring the other. The herd also destroyed standing crops.
According to official figures, more than 750 people have been killed by wild elephants in the last few years in Jharkhand. The shrinking forest areas and habitat of animals due to encroachment by humans have led to many cases of man-animal confrontation.
- Two killed by jumbos in Jharkhand - Jan 23, 2011
- Herd of wild jumbos kill two in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2011
- Elephant kills five in Jharkhand - Dec 29, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death in Jharkhand - Dec 03, 2010
- Woman, son killed in tusker attack in Jharkhand - Nov 17, 2010
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Tusker tramples four in Bihar - Jul 08, 2012
- Man-animal conflict intensifies in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 01, 2011
- Jharkhand's anti-Maoist push drives tuskers wild - Sep 16, 2011
- Elephant tramples Jharkhand official to death - Aug 03, 2010
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
- One dead as elephants go berserk in Mysore (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Toll reaches 13 as elephants continue Nepal ravage - Dec 18, 2009