Woman saves hundreds of dying trees in BiharJune 5th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 5 (IANS) A young woman has saved hundreds of trees in Bihar’s East Champaran district by finding a cure for their ailment.
Kiran Kumari, a 19-year-old science student of Class 12, discovered a remedy that treated Seesam trees spread over about 600 acres. The trees - highly prized for their timber - regained instant health three years after they had been afflicted by a disease.
She is a resident of Manjhar village in East Champaran, about 200 km from here, and a farmer’s daughter. Her efforts were recognised last year when she was awarded president’s medal.
“Kiran’s hard efforts to protect Seesam trees bore fruit as greenery was back on trees and smile back on faces of people,” said Maheshwar Singh, a villager.
“After experimenting with dozens of remedies to protect Seesam trees, I discovered a simple but effective remedy to save these trees afflicted by diseases. I treated the roots of the trees with a diluted solution of kerosene (50 ml kerosene with 10 litres of water) and painted the stems with lime solution mixed with tobacco,” Kiran told IANS on phone.
Kiran plans to study environmental science and then to work for the protection of trees. “I love to devote my time to protect trees and greenery,” she said.
- Nitish Kumar ties rakhi to a tree - Aug 13, 2011
- East Africa's antimalarial trees at risk of extinction - Apr 21, 2011
- A fitting gift for Bihar's 'green' daughters - May 08, 2011
- Hair today, gone tomorrow - the natural way! - Jun 30, 2011
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- Planting trees to celebrate girls, a village keeps count - Jun 17, 2011
- Bhojpuri songs to spread awareness about kala azar - May 09, 2012
- In encephalitis-hit Bihar, parents pray to god to save their kids - Jun 29, 2012
- AIDS Breakthrough Discovered For Women - Jul 20, 2010
- Visually-challenged students plant saplings in Kolkata - Jun 06, 2012
- Bihar to conserve tree associated with Mahatma Gandhi - Jan 05, 2012
- Rajasthan family keeps mentally ill woman in chains - Apr 15, 2012
- Kolkata Metro's route may be changed to save greenery - May 29, 2011
- Mighty women of the Himalayas, turn into guardians of the mountains - Apr 10, 2010
- Delhi to increase its green cover: Dikshit - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: ailment, champaran, diseases, dozens, environmental science, greenery, instant health, kerosene, kiran, lime, maheshwar, ml, old science, patna, remedy, roots, science student, stems, villager, young woman