Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panicJune 27th, 2012 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 27 (IANS) Panic has spread as at least two persons have been trampled to death and several houses damaged by herds of wild elephants rampaging in Sarguja forest and its adjoining areas of Chhattisgarh over the last few days, forest officials said Wednesday.
On Sunday, a herd of nine elephants attacked Sargaon village, 5 km from Ambikapur block’s headquarters Shankargarh. On seeing the elephants, all the villagers ran away, except two people who were trampled to death. The villagers returned only after forest officials reached the village and chased away the elephant herd.
“A lone jumbo separated from its group, active in the Prem Nagar range of south Surguja forest division, about 300 km north of state capital Raipur, damaged several houses in half a dozen villages during the last six days,” Forest Conservator (Wildlife) Shetty Panwar told IANS.
In Tuba village panchayat, Farsabahar block, over a dozen houses were damaged by elephants Saturday, creating panic among villagers, many of whom fled their houses, fearing for life.
According to villagers, four herds of elephants are roaming in the dense forest located between Tuba and Bangaon. Just after sunset, one or the other herd of elephants enters the village, creating panic. Villagers blame forest officials for their failure to contain the menace. The herds have come from adjoining Jharkhand, officials said.
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh village panics as jumbos run amok - Feb 18, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011
- Elephants raze houses, villagers flee - Nov 10, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: cause panic, conservator, dense forest, dozen houses, elephant, elephant herd, forest division, forest officials, half a dozen, herd of elephants, herds, jumbo, june 27, rampage, several houses, six days, surguja, tuba, two persons, wild elephants