Wild jumbo tramples three to death in ChhattisgarhMay 1st, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 1 (IANS) A wild elephant trampled three people to death in Chhattisgarh’s northern forested region, police and forest officials said Friday.
The incident took place in a remote forested area late Thursday night in the Surguja district, some 400 km north of the capital Raipur.
“A wild elephant entered Bhelui forested area and killed three men and demolished a few mud-built houses,” said S.B. Pandey, divisional forest officer. The victims were Munna Singh, 45, Babulal, 48, and Lakhan, 55.
The officer said that the rampaging tusker has created terror among a population of about 500 people. The forest department has rushed a team to chase away the jumbo from villages.
Chhattisgarh’s northern region, comprising of Surguja, Jashpur, Koria, Korba and Raigarh districts, regularly witnesses cases of man-elephant conflicts. Dozens of people have been killed by wild elephants in recent years in the region.
The state government annually pays villagers in the northern region millions of rupees in compensation for the loss of human lives and the damage caused to houses and crops. Sometimes, villagers migrate to safer places for a week or more to avoid the sudden night-time attacks of the wild elephant herds.
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Elephants kill 29 people in Chhattisgarh in 2009 - Jan 14, 2010
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Wild elephants attack Chhattisgarh village, tribals flee - Nov 15, 2009
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
Tags: crops, elephant, elephant herds, forest department, forest officer, forest officials, forested area, forested region, korba, lakhan, mud, night time, raigarh, raipur, rupees, state government, three men, thursday night, tusker, wild elephants