Wild-firefighting on: Mission Save HomesAugust 31st, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by IBNS
By Samrat Banerjee
Aug 31 (IBNS) Firefighters have geared up in the small community of Acton for an all-out battle to keep the wildfire, which has already burnt 35,000 acres, at bay to save more residential units.
US Forest Service Incident Chief Mike Dietrich Sunday dubbed the Station fire “treacherous,” saying the current fire plan was “to go defensive, to let the fire come to us, because it has been going so fast.”
Fixed-wing aircraft and a DC-10 were dropping water and flame retardant on the fire Sunday.
Officials did report some progress. In La Cañada Flintridge, some residents living west of the Arroyo Seco were told they could go back to their homes, sources said.
An evacuation order in portions of Glendale also was lifted. But about 6,000 homes across the 19-mile fire line remained under an evacuation order.
In Acton, the situation was tense. Wind picked up around 1330 hours and began to drive the fire down canyons, threatening the community.
Battalion Chief Scott Johnson, of the Santa Maria Fire Department said: This fire is converting from slope-driven to wind-driven. It’ll get larger because of the wind. That’s when it gets dangerous.
Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger also urged residents in fire evacuation zones to flee as firefighters predicted another difficult day.
- Wildfire In Boulder County Spreads Over 4 Square Miles - Sep 07, 2010
- Altadena Fire Stands Out As A Threat For The Residents - Aug 30, 2009
- Colorado fires spread to 3,500 acres; 1,000 homes evacuated - Sep 07, 2010
- Schwarzenegger declares fire emergency in Los Angeles - Aug 29, 2009
- Swift Altadena Fire Rages Insatiabaly - Aug 29, 2009
- Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico's largest ever wildfire - Jun 04, 2012
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- Perth bushfire engulfs 20 homes, over 100 residents evacuated - Feb 06, 2011
- Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homes - Sep 12, 2011
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Firefighters try to contain Arizona wildfire - Jun 07, 2011
- Wildfires Spread In Boulder, Large Scale Evacuations Takes Place - Oct 30, 2010
- Wildfire forces thousands to flee in US - Sep 08, 2010
- 'All hell' breaks loose in California wildfire - May 09, 2009
Tags: acton, arnold schwarzenegger, arroyo seco, banerjee, battalion chief, canyons, chief scott, dc 10, evacuation zones, fire down, fire evacuation, fire line, fire plan, firefighting, flame retardant, forest service, mike dietrich, residential units, station fire, wing aircraft