Wild elephant kills woman in Chhattisgarh villageApril 11th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 11 (IANS) A 55-year-old woman was trampled to death by a wild elephant in Chhattisgarh’s Mahasamund district, a forest official said Saturday.
Kara Bai was trampled to death Friday night in the backyard of her mud-built house in Vijrapali village, within the Pithora forest in Mahasamund.
“The elephant sneaked into Pithora forest area where it has created terror in at least five villages. A woman was killed last night (Friday) and we are doing our best to chase the elephant away,” divisional forest officer H.L. Ratre told IANS on phone.
Chhattisgarh’s northern region has witnessed repeated attacks by wild elephants for about a decade now. Officials say human encroachment in the forests is the main reason for more and more human-elephant conflicts.
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death in Meghalaya - Apr 16, 2011
- Wild elephants attack Chhattisgarh village, tribals flee - Nov 15, 2009
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Wild jumbo tramples three to death in Chhattisgarh - May 01, 2009
- Paddy comes to rescue of elephants in Arunanchal - May 21, 2012
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
- Woman trampled to death by elephants - Jul 22, 2010
- Two killed by jumbos in Jharkhand - Jan 23, 2011
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011