Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead)August 4th, 2011 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Parts of Delhi were lashed by heavy showers Thursday morning, providing much needed relief to residents who were experiencing a hot and muggy weather for almost a week but causing waterlogging and traffic disruptions too. The met office forecast more rains Friday.
“The city received 0.8 mm of rainfall from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Thursday as the maximum temperature settled at 33 degrees Celsius, normal for this time of the year,” an official of India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The relative humidity hovered between a high of 95 percent and a low of 61 percent, added the official.
According to IMD, Friday will witness cloudy skies with a possibility of rainfall. Some spells may be heavy.
“The maximum and minimum temperatures will hover between 33 and 27 degrees Celsius, respectively,” said the official.
However, Thursday began on a hot note as the minimum temperature was two notches above average at 28.2 degrees Celsius, added the IMD official.
As the showers were heavy in some parts of the city, waterlogging brought traffic in some parts of the city to a snail’s pace. Traffic jams were reported from south, central and east Delhi, said Delhi Traffic Police.
“Dhaula Kuan, Mandir Marg, Moti Bagh, Kashmere Gate Metro station, Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, Vasant Kunj and Mahipalpur witnessed (traffic) jams due to flooding of roads,” said a Traffic Police official.
Many people were stuck in long lines of vehicles caused by the flooding.
“The city has witnessed a total of 203.2 mm rainfall this monsoon which is 36 percent less than the average,” said the IMD official.
Wednesday’s maximum temperature was 34.7 degrees Celsius — two notches above the average for the season.
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Thundershowers lash parts of Delhi, more rains Friday (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Delhi, rainy weekend ahead (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Cloudy day, rains expected late in night (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Wet Delhi causes traffic snarls (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sporadic rain in Delhi, Thursday to be clear (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Sunny morning in Delhi, cloudy day ahead - Aug 05, 2011
- Muggy day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Windy morning in Delhi, rains expected - Aug 13, 2012
- More rain in store in Delhi - Aug 30, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: bagh, cloudy skies, degrees celsius, dhaula kuan, east delhi, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kashmere gate, mandir, maximum temperature, metro station, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, muggy weather, relative humidity, traffic disruptions, traffic jams, traffic police, vasant kunj, waterlogging