Water level in Yamuna starts receding (Lead)August 21st, 2010 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) The water level in Yamuna river, which crossed the danger mark of 204.8 metre Friday night and reached a high of 205.02 metre Saturday, has started receding, an official said.
The water level is expected to come below the danger mark by Sunday evening, a statement issued by the chief minister’s office said, adding there is no need to panic.
About 2.08 lakh cusecs of water was released Thursday night from Haryana’s Hathikund barrage, leading to the river level crossing the danger mark at 10 p.m. Friday, and rising further to 205 metre an hour later.
The water level touched 205.02 metre at 3 p.m. Saturday.
The statement said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was constantly monitoring the situation, and added that the government and all its agencies are geared to meet any challenge in case of flood-like situation.
As many as 63 boats along with divers and a team of disaster management force are camping near the low-lying areas to meet any eventuality.
The situation is being monitored by a control room round-the-clock and about 10 camps have also been put up to provide temporary shelter to the affected persons.
All the necessary arrangements, including mobile medical teams, Delhi Jal Board tankers and sanitary arrangements are in place to deal with the situation.
- No threat of floods in Delhi: Minister (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna water level rises again in Delhi - Aug 28, 2010
- Yamuna flows above danger mark, over 900 evacuated (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Yamuna receding but still above danger mark - Aug 29, 2010
- Yamuna above danger mark, many evacuated in Delhi - Aug 23, 2010
- Yamuna still above danger mark - Aug 27, 2010
- Haryana has no role in Yamuna's rising: officials - Aug 22, 2010
- Yamuna water receding but still above danger mark - Aug 26, 2010
- Yamuna crosses danger mark - Aug 17, 2011
- Yamuna flows above danger mark, people evacuated - Aug 22, 2010
- Yamuna still above danger mark, Dikshit visits relief camps (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger level in Delhi - Aug 18, 2011
- Yamuna flowing above danger mark in Delhi - Aug 21, 2010
- Yamuna rises alarmingly; under control, says Dikshit (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2010
- Yamuna flowing above danger mark, not to worry: Dikshit (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: barrage, chief minister, cusecs, danger mark, disaster management, eventuality, friday night, haryana, jal, management force, medical teams, necessary arrangements, New Delhi, sheila dikshit, sunday evening, tankers, temporary shelter, thursday night, water level, yamuna river