Watch out for Perseids meteor showers SundayAugust 10th, 2012 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) Sky gazers can look forward to an exhibition of celestial fireworks as the night sky will be lit up by Perseids meteor showers that are expected to peak Sunday.
At its peak, one can see as many as 60 meteors streak across the skies in an hour. An outstanding view of Perseids meteor shower is on the cards this weekend on the nights from Aug 12-14.
The Perseids are the most famous of all meteor showers and never fail to provide an impressive display. The 2012 Perseids meteor shower will be excellently seen from the entire northern hemisphere.
“Sky gazers will be able to see the fire from the skies. One can see trails of shooting stars coming from a particular area in the sky at an astonishing rate,” said Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) director C.B. Devgun.
SPACE is a private organisation working for popularising science among people.
“Light pollution can hamper the observations and maybe the city can’t witness too many meteors because of too much of light pollution around. Also, the rains and cloudy skies are expected to rob the charm of this celestial show,” Devgun said.
As comets move about their orbits, they leave a trail of dusty and rocky debris, which gets attracted when the earth crosses their orbits. The showers are seen as the debris light up on entry into the earth’s atmosphere.
Records of Perseids activity date back to 36 AD. In 1839, German astronomer Eduard Heis was the first to take a meteor count and discovered that Perseids had a maximum rate of around 60 meteors per hour.
- Clouds may obscure Perseids meteor showers Saturday - Aug 12, 2011
- Meteor shower to sparkle sky Thursday - Aug 11, 2010
- Delhi's overcast sky may obscure meteor shower - Aug 12, 2010
- Watch out for Geminid meteor shower Wednesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Leonid meteor shower to peak Thursday - Nov 16, 2010
- Sky gazers in for celestial treat Tuesday - Dec 13, 2010
- Celestial treat on R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Annual Perseid Meteor Shower All Set To Dazzle The Skyline - Aug 12, 2010
- Meteor showers to make sky sparkle Aug 12 - Aug 07, 2008
- Perseids Meteor Shower Dazzles Sky-Gazers With Stunning Display - Aug 13, 2010
- Perseid meteor shower to light up night sky Wednesday - Aug 11, 2009
- Watch out for Jupiter, Moon conjunction Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Geminid meteor shower to offer dazzling spectacle on Dec 14 - Dec 10, 2010
- Orionid meteor shower to light up night sky Wednesday - Oct 20, 2009
- Best time to see the Leonid Meteor Shower 2010 is now - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: astonishing rate, celestial fireworks, cloudy skies, german astronomer, heis, impressive display, light pollution, maximum rate, meteor count, meteors, night sky, northern hemisphere sky, orbits, perseids meteor shower, perseids meteor showers, private organisation, rocky debris, science popularisation, shooting stars, sky gazers