Wary Goa tracking dam construction in KarnatakaAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 1 (IANS) Goa officials are taking photos and making videos of an under-construction dam in Karnataka over fears that it may cut off water supply to the state, said a minister Wednesday.
The controversial dam is being erected on the Mhadei river in the Kalsa area of Karnataka’s Belgaum district.
In a written reply tabled in the Goa legislative assembly, Water Resources Minister Dayanand Mandrekar said the inter-state dispute between Goa and Karnataka over Mhadei river’s water was already pending before a central government-appointed tribunal.
“The ongoing works of the state of Karnataka of constructing an interconnecting channel between the Kalsa Nallah and Malaprabha river being against the interests of Goa, the same are being regularly monitored by the officers of WR (Water Resources) Department, Goa, by site visits, photographing and video recording the activities etc., to know the consequential effects of the ongoing works to Goa,” he said.
Mandrekar said the hearings at the Mhadei Water Dispute Tribunal had not started because the tribunal, chaired by retired Supreme court judge, Justice J.M. Panchal, was facing logistical difficulties.
“The tribunal could not take up the application of Goa as the office accommodation for the tribunal members, staffing for the tribunal etc., are still not in place,” Mandrekar said.
The Mhadei river (called Mandovi in Goa) originates in Karnataka and meets the Arabian Sea in Panaji in Goa. While the river travels 28.8 km in Karnataka, it is 81.2 km long in Goa.
Karnataka plans to construct seven dams on the river, aimed at diverting the waters into its water-starved Malaprabha basin.
Both the Goa government and civil society groups in the state have said that diverting the waters of the river would sound a death knell to the northern areas of the state, which are dependent on the river for fishing, irrigation and potable water supply.
- Goa's water share important than party: Parrikar - Aug 07, 2012
- Goa keeps eye on Karnataka's river project - Aug 08, 2011
- Kamat denies river talks, says met Yeddyurappa at toilet - Feb 09, 2010
- Goa urged to set up tiger reserve - Jul 23, 2011
- Goa delegation to meet PM over water dispute with Karnataka - Dec 30, 2008
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Activists roar for tiger reserve as Goa drags feet - Jul 11, 2011
- Goa accuses Karnataka of illegally diverting river water - Dec 21, 2008
- Goa firms get show cause for pollution - Aug 08, 2012
- Border with Karnataka needs re-demarcation: Goa law panel - Jun 19, 2009
- Karnataka Govt. to challenge Krishna tribunal order in Supreme Court - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Advise Karnataka to stop construction of check dams' - May 20, 2012
- Karnataka CM Yeddyurappa welcomes Krishna water dispute verdict - Dec 30, 2010
- Goa-Maharashtra irrigation project by 2013 - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, belgaum district, civil society groups, controversial dam, dam construction, death knell, dispute tribunal, goa government, inter state, legislative assembly, logistical difficulties, northern areas, office accommodation, panaji, panchal, state of karnataka, supreme court judge, tribunal members, water dispute, water resources department