Volcano erupts near TokyoFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 9:58 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Early morning, a volcano erupted near Tokyo, with white smoke billowing and ash falling on the capital, the Meteorological Agency said.
So far, no injuries or any damage reported because of the following the minor eruption of the 2,568-metre (8,425 feet) Mount Asama, 150 kilometres (95 miles) northwest of Tokyo.
The volcano last erupted in August last year. Live television footage showed smoke coming from the snow-covered mountain seven hours after the eruption, shortly before 2am.
Carried by winds, volcanic ash was seen in towns at the foot of the mountain as well as in the heart of Tokyo, according to the agency.
The agency warned of a possible fall of rocks within four kilometres of the crater.
- Japanese volcano erupts, spews smoke 2,000 metres in air (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Volcano erupts in Japan - Feb 02, 2009
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- One dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia - Aug 29, 2010
- Two dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Third Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Colombian volcano erupts - Jul 02, 2012
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Thousands flee, some hurt as Mount Merapi erupts on Java - Oct 26, 2010
- Indonesia's Mount Lokon volcano erupts - Feb 10, 2012
- Polish airspace safe despite Iceland volcano eruption - May 24, 2011
- Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano cools off - May 24, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: foot of the mountain, heart, live television, meteorological agency, minor eruption, mount asama, rocks, seven hours, snow covered mountain, television footage, tokyo, volcanic ash, volcano, white smoke