Volcano erupts in ColombiaAugust 26th, 2010 - 9:44 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Aug 26 (IANS) The Galeras volcano, located near San Juan de Pasto in southwestern Colombia, erupted Wednesday, but there were no immediate reports of any damage caused.
The alert on the volcano was raised from “orange” to “red”, the highest level which implies an “imminent or current eruption”. This made the authorities order evacuation of thousands of residents in nearby villages and towns, Martha Calvache, assistant director of the Colombian Geology and Mining Institute, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“But it has not been possible to analyse the material coming out from the volcano, which could be associated to ashes or probably to lava,” Calvache said.
Galeras, located nine kilometres from San Juan de Pasto and 4,276 metres above sea level, has been active since many years, and in the past few days several earthquakes related to its activity had been reported.
- Colombia's Galeras volcano erupts, 'red alert' issued - Aug 26, 2010
- Colombia volcano erupts - Jun 09, 2009
- Colombian volcano erupts - Jul 02, 2012
- Guatemala volcano eruption forces mass evacuation - Sep 14, 2012
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia - Aug 29, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts for second time - Aug 30, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts for second time (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Ten FARC members killed in army operation in southwestern Colombia - Mar 25, 2011
- 29,000 Colombians evacuated due to floods - Apr 24, 2011
- One dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- `Colombia now South America's No. 2 economy' - Sep 01, 2012
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Two dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Third Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: assistant director, authorities, bogota, colombia, earthquakes, few days, galeras volcano, geology, kilometres, lava, martha, mining institute, nearby villages, orange, san juan de pasto, sea level, xinhua