Victim of monkey attack at Kerala zoo recoveringSeptember 16th, 2008 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 16 (IANS) A 25-year-old worker at the Thiruvananthapuram Zoo may never forget the savage attack he suffered at the hands of three monkeys when he entered their enclosure. But zoo authorities say it was partly his fault.The Rhesus monkeys bit off a big chunk of flesh from Rajesh’s hand and even injured him on the legs and stomach when he went inside their cage to clean it up on the morning of last Saturday. He is recovering at a government hospital now.
But Sadasivan Pillai, the superintendent of the zoo, said if Rajesh had been more careful, the incident would not have taken place. Rajesh was a daily wager at the zoo and had been working there for a year.
“The normal practice for cleaning up cages is to see that the animals are first moved to a cage within the main enclosure. After that, the locks are fastened on the smaller cage and then the clean-up takes place,” Pillai told IANS.
“But that day the gate of the second cage was not fastened properly and three monkeys rushed out and attacked Rajesh,” said Pillai. “The monkeys mauled Rajesh’s hand, legs and even bit him in the stomach.”
Hearing Rajesh’s cries, zoo veterinarian Joe J. Sebastian who was close to the spot came rushing, but by that time the monkeys were eating a chunk of flesh they had bitten off from the victim’s hand.
“Since he was immediately rushed to the hospital, nothing untoward happened. The ground rule while dealing with monkeys is not to tread in their territory without taking precautions,” said Sebastian.
Rajesh is convalescing at the government hospital here. As there is always a danger of contracting rabies from a monkey bite, the wounds have not been stitched.
“He is expected to be discharged from the hospital soon,” said Pillai.
The zoo is home to 480 animals belonging to 75 species. Of these, 40 are monkeys.
- Zoo feeder killed by lion - Feb 14, 2012
- Three Tigers Escape From A Canary Islands Zoo - Mar 24, 2010
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Zookeepers in China eat monkey meat - Apr 15, 2010
- Chimpanzees learn to mop cage from keepers - Feb 10, 2012
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Two tigers escape from Guwahati zoo, tranquilised later - Jan 30, 2010
- Jaipur Zoo's oldest tiger dead - Sep 05, 2010
- Former minister's jail term extended for using mobile - Oct 06, 2011
- On an Indian monkey that strayed into Pakistan - Dec 18, 2011
- Snake stolen from Mumbai zoo - May 29, 2011
- Attacked by dog, man jumps off 60 feet bridge - Aug 12, 2012
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: animals, authorities, chunk, flesh, government hospital, last saturday, legs, locks, monkey attack, rabies, rhesus monkeys, savage attack, sebastian, stomach, superintendent, three monkeys, wager, wounds, zoo veterinarian