Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead)June 23rd, 2012 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 23 (IANS) Pilgrimage to the Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu resumed Saturday morning after it was suspended due to a forest fire.
The fire broke out Friday evening in the forests near Adhkunwari, six kilometres from the Katra base camp. It started spreading fast and reached close to the trek.
The blaze had stranded a large number of pilgrims.
The inferno was brought under control after hectic efforts of the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) and others working in synergy, a board official said. There was no damage to property or injury to any pilgrim.
“The pilgrimage was suspended immediately as precautionary measure for safety of the pilgrimage,” the official added.
There is a heavy rush of pilgrims visiting the famous shrine with about 40,000 arriving in Katra everyday from different parts of the country.
Fire in pine forests of Jammu are common in intense heat conditions.
The shrine, dedicated to Goddess Durga, has three natural rock formation called “pindies”.
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Pilgrims throng Vaishno Devi on New Year - Jan 01, 2011
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
- Over 100 Pakistani Hindus arrive for Vaishno Devi pilgrimage - Jun 10, 2009
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: blaze, country fire, forest fire, friday evening, goddess durga, heat conditions, heavy rush, hectic efforts, hindu shrine, intense heat, kilometres, mata vaishno devi shrine board, natural rock formation, pilgrim, pilgrimage, pilgrims, pine forests, precautionary measure, saturday morning, shri mata vaishno devi shrine board