Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate after heavy rainsJuly 19th, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 19 (IANS) The Uttar Padesh administration was gearing up for flood management as several major rivers including the Ganga were in spate following heavy rains, officials said Saturday. “The Ganga, Sharda and Ghagra rivers have been flowing above or near the danger level in various districts,” an official with the state disaster management department said.
The Ganga was flowing 1.5 metres above the danger level in Hardoi district while it was rising at the rate of one centimetre per hour in Unnao district, officials added.
“We have made adequate arrangements to counter floods in the district and are in constant touch with the officials of the natural calamity department,” Hardoi district magistrate Manish Chauhan told IANS.
The Sharda was flowing above the danger mark in Palia tehsil of Lakhimpur district. The Ghagra was touching the danger mark in Ballia and the Faizabad districts, the officials added.
The met department has predicted moderate to heavy rainfall in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
“The moisture concentration, being witnessed particularly in eastern Uttar Pradesh, will bring more rain,” state met director L.C. Ram said.
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate - Jul 01, 2011
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, situation alarming - Aug 25, 2010
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Floods claim seven lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2009
- Four kids killed in house collapse in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 26, 2010
- Flood situation improves in north India; water level still above danger mark in UP rivers - Sep 26, 2010
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Major Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, flowing above danger mark - Aug 28, 2008
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Floods kill 31 in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 12, 2009
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: adequate arrangements, ballia, centimetre, constant touch, danger level, danger mark, disaster management, district magistrate, district officials, flood management, ganga, ghagra, heavy rains, management department, moisture concentration, natural calamity, sharda, spate, state disaster, tehsil